Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to my limelights?

Posted by ajc9 none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 14:30

Hello all!

I purchased some limelights a month or so ago. They were beautifully healthy....

Since I've planted they've become wilted in some areas and dry and crispy everywhere else! We live on almost 100% sand so I made sure to add a good amount of peat and top soil. I've been watering almost everyday.

Any ideas? What do I do to them when cold weather hits? I hope they make it do well next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to my limelights?

Not sure where you are located but heat and drought across much of the country has done a number on recent plantings (even well-established plantings) despite the frequency of waterings. And sand does complicate things with the need for very frequent watering.

Just continue to water as appropriate until the fall rains begin in earnest. Paniculatas are very cold tolerant so really nothing is required of you over the winter. In early spring you can remove any deadwood (common over winter) and prune to develop form and height. You can of course remove any old flowerheads now as you wish.

o
RE: What happened to my limelights?

• Posted by ajc9 none (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 21:31

Hi gardengal...thank you! You've helped me in my many postings about our landscaping project!

Ok...so I will continue watering for now. At this point, the leaves are just falling off! It sounds like I should just leave it alone in terms of the branches/flowers/leaves...and hopefully fresh growth will occur come spring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here