Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_belief

Hydrangeas in the desert? Anyone?

wild_belief
13 years ago

Hi all,

A customer of mine is a hydrangea nut, but lives in Las Vegas, and has had zero luck growing them as of yet. My gut tells me there's not much hope for her, but I thought there might be a Vegas native or someone with similar desert-habitat experience around who could answer definitively whether it's even remotely possible.

My first thought was that she could attempt a containerized peegee of some sort, and try her best to keep it cool and watered- but if anybody has any other thoughts or experience, let me know!

Comments (10)

• msalcido
    13 years ago

Hi there. How about Mexican Hydrangea? I haven't seen much on this site about them but have seen them online. Seem to be invasive.

• wild_belief
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation!
    I didn't really know much about Mexican hydrangeas until now. From what I read, I think they might work if she can keep them well- watered. I'll let her know it could be worth a try.

Anybody else got any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Carol Rubyor
    3 years ago

Hello I have tried hydrangeas here and they just do not grow

Neither do lilacs fuchsias or gardenias amongst a whole bunch more .. I just mentioned some of the prettier ones.. the stores in Las Vegas actually sell here..

If you want a smelly pretty flowery try hyacinth..

I have luck with those on north wall in a big pot.. daffodils do well here and so does fox glove.. only morning sun.. Snapdragon . Petunias do well and roses..I was never a big cactud fan but there's some really cool ones that I grow and sell hanging pots with big orange beautiful flowers on them every spring.. just gorgeous when don't have flowers ...really cute... Cactus but not a normal looking cactus

• spswash
    3 years ago

Don't waste your time or money! Wrong plant for your environment! Teach client how to read Growing Zones chart.

• Hye Kyoung Kim
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have been growing incrediball hydrangea here.

• luis_pr
    2 years ago

Interesting. Are you somewhere in Nevada? Growing it in a pot or ? Since when have you been growing it? How well has it performed for you there (how tall and wide is it now)? If potted, do you keep the pot in the same place all year around or do you move the pot to different locations based on the seasons? Any interesting stories of things that you discovered when growing it there?

• Hye Kyoung Kim
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes, I live in Las Vegas. I believe this is my 3rd year since I bought these plants.

Wow I didn’t think I will get answers for 10years old post. First of all, mine bloom beautifully but it get scorched on august for sure. But I haven’t been provide any shade up until now and that’s what I am gonna do this year. I also bought hydrangea food/fertilizer this year to test them out and see if it helps. I made a mistake to prune too much in 2nd year but one Of them r doing beautifully. I will post couple pics.

basically I bought 3 and one died but the one died I made a mistake and didn’t wafter it properly when it was a rather young plant. I bought them at homedepot website. All came when they were in dormant stage.

this is 2nd year photo and now (3rd year)this particular one became about 2.5feet wide and about 3feet tall.

it is located north wall area and one of the plant give it shade afternoon.

again though on august.. it gets scorched I will let u know how well it did this year with extra shade and water fertilizer.

I also put couple more hydrangea in my backyard(shady area) and camellia. I have been busy for 3years and finally have time to start my backyard garden. I will keep u posted. 👍👋😊

• luis_pr
    2 years ago

Rock mulch can stress the roots out a little in the summer months because they absorb heat during the day and release it at night when the roots in the top 4" need respite. I had some lacecaps on rock mulch, took them off the rock mulch when they suffered too much in the summer and put them back on rock mulch about 5 years later (not really sure as it was on a my previous home).

• Notalemming
    2 years ago

I have a beautiful gardenia that has grown since just a pup. It's in a pot next to my west wall, gets mid day sun and it receives water every other day in the summer. This spring/summer the blooms were plentiful and the aroma heavenly. As for the hydrangeas, it's a true struggle. I pretty much attempt it every year only to be disappointed. I keep it hydrated and in shade most of the day, but usually to no avail. Wisteria seems to do somewhat well here in the desert. We have a wisteria that grows like crazy, attaches to everything, but blooms only on occasion. Folks who love the non-desert plants will surely struggle with that potted plant/southern charm look if tried here. But there are many lovely flowering desert plants. My neighborhood is filled with them, chaste tree for one. It's hard to change a mindset if one has lived and loved the areas where such plants as hydrangeas grow.