Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion plants for limelight

Posted by taradeclan Z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 15:34

Hello-

just planted today 3 new 5 gallon limelights - any suggestions for companion/underplantings?? - they share a long narrow bed along side my house with 3 lilacs (Palibin) - and some Endless Summers..

Also - If I understand correctly - i do nothing except water them this Fall - cut them back by 1/2 - early next spring and fertilize?? Any special fertilizer needed??

Thanks!!

Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion plants for limelight

Hi, Michelle. I cut my Limelight back by 1/3 and fertilize with 20-20-20 in the spring, but I didn't cut it back at all the first spring. That's for established plants, IMHO.
I have chocolate Joe Pye weed next to my Limelight and I think that's an interesting combo.
I have a picture and am working on figuring out how to post. Karen the technodummy

o

In my opinion, deep vivid colors (especially deep purple) look best with Limelight. A very dark green foliage backdrop such as a conifer also looks great. Those deep contrasting colors really makes the lime green pop.....yg

o

I'm not an expert on companion plants. I tend to focus on having the right plants in the right place. I do try to have seasonal blooming times vary in an area though. My maintenance schedule is to prune off any winter dieback in Spring and fertilize(Miracid is best for my area)

Here is a link that might be useful: limelight

o

Since my limelight gives some shade underneath I place hosta's with great variegation and yellow in color.
Hosta: Stainglass, Daybrake, June, Pauls Glory, Reveolation, Patriot etc.
Because these hosta's can take sunshine and dapple light I think they are a nice combo to bring out the color of limelight.
Using the hosta's will give you great color combo before limelight begins to bloom.

o
Chartreuse Hostas

I like my August Moon hosta with the Limelight hydrangeas. It's chartreuse (believe they call it a golden hosta).

o

What about underplanting Limelight with a row of one of the following:

- Heuchera, 'Palace Purple'
- Pennisetum 'Karley Rose'
- Hakonechloa 'Aureola'
- Fescue 'Elijah Blue'

?

o

I have Shiso perillo planted around two of mine - I like the contrast - Carrie

o

Agree with the above....Heucheras and hostas depending on sunlight. Also, something for texture as I think lilac leaves are similar in size to hydrangeas. That way you have interest even when they are not blooming. Since you have them planted with Lilacs I'm assuming they are getting full sun? I also like going for different shades of green.....lambs ears, fescue, blue spruce...Dark greens too.

o
Lady Fern

A big swathe of Lady Fern around hydrangeas are beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here