Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killer hydrangeas?

Posted by pjt108 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 16:23

Could climbing hydrangeas kill the trees they are climbing on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killer hydrangeas?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 11:37

The short answer is No, they won't kill a tree. But established mature climbing hydrangea is a large plant,sometimes growing to 50' if not pruned, so you would need to keep in mind the size and strength of the tree on which it is climbing. If you are in an area where summer storms with wind/rain are common, you might want to consider the added weight of the vine especially when wet and how that might affect a small trees resistance to wind.

I've seen a very pretty example growing on a mature doug fir - no harm, no foul there and the vine is well out of reach of pruners.

o

Why do you ask? Do you have a problem with a tree & a climbing hydrangea now? Or are you considering a CH?

o

luis pr - i have a well established CH that is growing on a well established hemlock - but the hemlock has died and i don't know why.....

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 10:39

There can be some problems with hemlock (tsuga) in landscapes - needs evenly moist, acidic, well-drained soils, partial shade, all conditions which allow it to thrive here. It doesn't tolerate extended periods of dry any better than it does soggy soil.

As for pests, woolly adelgid will kill hemlock, but it isn't hard to spot should your tree be suffering from those:

Here is a link that might be useful: hemlock woolly adelgid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here