Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Training Limelight from a shrub to a tree...?

Posted by sarah64 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 16:24

Hello everyone I'm new on here and very new to hydrangeas. I've got a bush that I'd like to train into a tree, my question is, if I chop off all but the strongest, straightest stem (which has a flower at the end, does that matter?) and let it set buds at the top, will the "trunk" continue to grow taller or will it stay the same height and just produce at the top?
I hope that makes sense. Thank you anyone who can help me with this before I get snap happy out there and start chopping.
Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Training Limelight from a shrub to a tree...?

Sarah, you've got the right idea there. This one stem will then branch out all over the place, snip off those lower branches and just allow three or four to develop on top, this will give you the "tree" form.

Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here