Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little Limelight in N, TX

Posted by gardeningartist1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 16:47

I am not new to growing Hydrangeas but have only grown Mac's & Oakleafs. I purchased Little Limelight at a grand opening of our newest & only local nursery. I have very light & sandy loam but am fortunate to have a water well for irigation

My Macs & OL's grow in mostly shade. Does anyone have experience growing LL in N. TX?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little Limelight in N, TX

Hello, gardeningartist1. The leaves of H. arborescens and H. paniculatas require morning sun and afternoon shade in the summer months. Otherwise, the leaves in direct contact with the sun will suffer from sunscald. Find a similar location for Little Lime. Since our temps are in the 100s, you may want to keep it in the container (somewhere in 24/7 bright shade) and plant it when we drop for the 100s (I never plant anything here from July-August... if I can help it). Luis

o

Thanks Luis. Do they require as much water as the Macs or do you know? I too avoid planting in this heat. It is just brutal out there.

o

Yes, same amount of water if they happen to be about the same dimensions. It is best to water the soil early in the mornings, from the root ball moving outwards. Maintain about 3-4" of mulch (year around) up to or past the drip line to help conserve soil moisture.

o

Got it, thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here