Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the best time to move a Hydrangea?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6/MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 16:47

I am getting ready to move a Hydrangea among other shrubs. I move things a lot. [g] This will be the second time for this particular Hydrangea. I forget when the best time to move it is? I was hoping to do so this fall, but thinking it is too early? Should I wait until it is dormant? If I do, that doesn't leave it as much time to establish, right?

I would appreciate any input, thanks.

Oh...also, when I do move it, should I cut back the foliage or leave it alone until next spring?

Thank you! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the best time to move a Hydrangea?

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 21:43

The experts' rule-of-thumb is during dormant period, in the Fall or early Spring before they wake up.

Before I knew any better, I've moved a few beauties around (at less than ideal times) as long as I get the entire root ball & with a lot of TLC ... moved 2 ESs 3x, F&E 2x, 2 Serratas in late Spring... they were young & it was easy to dig up the entire ball as if I was just moving a huge pot from 1 spot to a better one (I was blest!) ... DON'T follow my ignorant lead, unless you won't mind losing you beauty.

I have an old Nikko I'm thinking to move, but fear the risk of losing 2 stems, on ground-layering status since 1st of June. If I toughen my chicken nature, I might still ... around mid-Nov ... & cross fingers/talking to Hydrangea gods all Winter!!! LOL

A very old shrub would be difficult to move w/out some damage to roots!

Experts will be responding soon! Good Luck!

o
RE: When is the best time to move a Hydrangea?

I've had good luck with spring. Feel like the plant is primed and ready to go then...all you need to do is add the right environment. I've severely manhandled some hydrangeas in the spring with not a one lost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here