Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Browning leaves?

Posted by darinv 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:40

I recently planted this Hydrangea renhy, had beautiful pink and white blooms, which are now brown. Sort of a newby to hydrangeas so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to cut the blooms off when they died and browned?
Anyways, my major concern was the browning on the leaf edges, as pictured.
Gets plenty of sun and I feel like i water it pretty dilligently. Every other day for sure, on really hot days I get to it every day. maybe I'm watering too much?
Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Browning leaves?

Hello, darinv. If the leaves are not getting enough moisture, the leaves will turn brown from the edges so try to maintain the soil as evenly moist as you can. Basically, try not to have long periods of dryness, followed by moist soil and then back to dry again. Use mulch, 3-4" up to the drip line, to let the soil moisture last longer and reduce the need to water often.

To see if you need to water, insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 4" and water if the soil feels almost dry or dry. Water early in the morning. Water the soil (not the leaves) about 1-2 gallons (1g in Spring; more during the worst of the summer) from the root ball outwards.

If you water when the soil feels wet then you are watering too much. If you keep this for a long time, the plant can then develop root rot and the shrub's leaves will look wilted 24/7 so try not to go overboard with the waterings!

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here