Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mme Emile Mouillere

Posted by macgyver2009 z5b PA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 17:58

Is it possible to grow this plant and get flowering in zone 5/6 without extensive winter protection. I see some sites list it as zone 5. I searched through old posts, but did not see any discussion about her hardiness. It is such a beautiful hydrangea. I would love to put one in next spring. If not, is Blushing Bride a good alternative in this zone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mme Emile Mouillere

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 20:33

Hi macgyver - BB is my favorite of the 3 ES siblings I have ... a reliable bloomer, as upright as Forever & Ever due to thicker canes & the gradual color changes from mid-Aug into Fall is absolutely awesome ... final stage is deep burgundy!!!

I don't own MEM to judge & compare.

o

'Mme. Emile Mouillere' may very well be root hardy to zone 5 but is highly unlikely to be bud hardy in that zone without winter protection. It is one of my favorite selections and a very heavily blooming white mop that developes a rather distinctive bright blue eye. It may be worth going through the effort :-)

o

Identical by hardiness to MEM, Sister Teresa is NOT a reliable bloomer in 6b. I highly doubt that MEM will be blooming in z5 without serious protection.
I guess that would leave Blushing Bride as the only choice for white mac for z5.

o

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go with BB to stay on the safe side. I am also trying a couple of serratas recommended here for better hardiness. We'll see next spring! I moved from 6b last summer and still can't accept that 60 miles difference significantly limits my hydrangea selection. Thank goodness for the rebloomers and the paniculatas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here