Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When and How to Prune 'Little Lime' Hydrangea

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 18:19

Zone 8b, BC

I planted Little Lime Hydrangea last spring. It bloomed beautifully all summer. It is soooo pretty. I would like to know when and how to prune it. I searched Google but not able to find much information on pruning. Does anyone else here have Little Lime in my Zone area? Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When and How to Prune 'Little Lime' Hydrangea

Generally speaking, hydrangeas do not need to be pruned if they are planted in a location where they can grow to their size at maturity. And being a new introduction, your Little Lime will not need pruning for quite a few years.

You can deadhead browned out blooms at any time however. And you can remove dead wood at any time as well.

Being a paniculata, Little Lime can be pruned at almost any time. The only time that I would not prune is when they are about to bloom. Flower buds are developed in Spring so pruning now or in winter would cause no harm to next year's blooms.

o

Thank you Luis for your help. Great, I will just leave it alone. That was easy!!

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 20:33

I bought one today and was planning on putting it in a bed that only gets a couple hours of morning sun ... next to an Endless Summer. I've read in other threads on GW where people plant it in full sun. The sign at the nursery said shade.

Luis, you seem to be a bit of an expert on hydrangeas. Where would you plant it in my south Louisiana garden?

TIA!

o

Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 18:42

According to the LSU Ag Center it needs sun, so that's what it'll get.

o

I have yet to plant any hydrangea variety in full sun here. Macrophyllas, Oakleaves and Arborescens fry their leaves here in the South during the mid-summer months. I suggest that they get morning sun and then some shade starting around 11am or 12pm (approx) during the summer months. With the exceptional drought that we still have, the leaves can survide with afternoon shade when the temps are in the 80s or lower but start to brown out when the temps get higher.

Note that it is ok to plant it in full sun when you live somewhere in the northern half of the country. Even better if located further North. The summer sun is not as strong as it is down here.

Luis

o

Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 21:15

That's what I thought too, but this from the LSU Ag site:

Locate hydrangeas in a spot where they receive some shade during the day. A shady (two hours of direct sun) or partly shaded (about four hours of direct sun) bed is ideal. Avoid hot, sunny, dry areas or beds that are baked by the afternoon sun. Morning sun is much preferred by these plants, so an eastern exposure is excellent. The exceptions are H. paniculata prefers a sunny garden and H. arborescens prefers light shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas for shade and sun

o

Let me/us know how the leaves do by the time August 2012 arrives (if you just happen to remember). I am most interested as the sun in July-August has scorched the leaves of the Macs, Oakleaf, Arborescens here (the leaves in direct contact with the sun turn all yellow or whiteish, including the leaf veins).

I have not tried planting a paniculata here for that reason. Oddly, I have not even seen one in homes or city gardens, although Little Lime was for sale in a nursery in May. When I returned to buy it, it was sold out. LL is the only paniculata I have ever seen sold locally in 30 years. It was shocking to find it! Sure would be nice to add some panics.... compact ones though! Hee hee hee!

o

Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 11:30

Luis, I'll try to remember. I bookmarked this forum, so that should help. I'd never heard of Limelight or Little Lime until this year on the Cottage Gardening forum. When I saw it at the nursery I decided to give it a shot.

o

Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 17:33

Luis, I thought about this thread as I posted on another here. I decided not to wait till August. Dug it up on Tuesday and transplanted it into a bed where it only receives morning sun. Mother Nature has been very generous with rainfall since then.

o

Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 17:16

Well, I think I should have left well enough alone. The one in the courtyard that gets about 5 hours of morning sun has been blooming for a month. The one I moved from an afternoon sun location to morning sun and a bit of afternoon sun isn't blooming at all. This fall I'll relocate it again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here