Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Need ID please

Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 18:50

This first picture is of a pink Hydrangeas that I received as a gift several years ago and it bloomed while in a pot for two years and spring of 2012 I put it out in the ground and it hasn't bloomed since. The plant is very healthy and has been green all summer.It receives morning sun and very early afternoon sun for a very short time.I believe that isn't the problem. I didn't trim it until early May after the new green was out and I then only cut off what stems that didn't have any new green on it and didn't appear as if they where live stems. There was very few that I had to trim. Any guesses on what the name of this plant might be? It was purchased from a flower shop that I do know and had five or more large pink blooms when I received it in 2010.
The second pictures is of a blue Hyg that I planted last year about this time of the year and it had blue blooms on it when planted and I believe it was a Endless Summer but I don't know which one. It has bloomed all year but not blue as you can see from the picture but it was blue last year when planted.. Any guesses of its name? I'm new to Hyg, as if you can't already tell.LOL Thanks, Sandy
I'll have to post the second picture in a new message I guess. See post titled second picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Need ID please

Flower shops sometimes select hydrangeas that are not hardy for some locations. I guess they think people will throw them out when the blooms fade. Since it looks so nice in the above picture, I would consider winter protecting this year and see how it does bloom-wise next year. Prune it only after it has bloomed but before July-August. And fertilize it once in Spring so the soil is not full of nitrogen. Too much N keeps hydrangeas a nice dark green with few or no flowers.

Hydrangeas are impossible to name without blooms so try posting pictures when you see/get blooms for the one above.

The link below is for the Endless Summer Series. Please refer to it so you can match the blooms you see to the ones in the website.

The soil makes the H. macrophyllas blooms turn blue/pink/purple (whites will stay white no matter what). The potting mix that turned the blooms blue originally contained the proper soil acidity and levels of aluminum to get a shade of blues. If the roots grow into your soil, the acidity/alkalinity of your garden soil & the level so aluminum in your soil will tweak the color. Blooms that turn pink suggest that your soil is alkaline and-or has little aluminum. To switch the blooms back, you will need to amend the soil regularly with a product such as aluminum sulfate (keep it away from azaleas and rhododendrons though). If your levels of aluminum are normal, you can also try amending with garden Sulphur, greensand and iron-chelated liquid compounds. Blues will then return as soon as you get new blooms and last several weeks after which the blooms will fade and begin to turn several other colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: ES Website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here