Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydrangea still growing

Posted by gardenapprentice 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 19:24

well its fall, im in the south eastern tenessee part and my hydrangeas are still growing and giving off new growth im worried anyone else experience this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydrangea still growing

It may be normal. Mine have some new growth, not much though. Looks like they are winding down. Over here, they do not go dormant until November-December. Eventually, less sunlight and colder temperatures will let them know to cut it down and that it is time to go to bed.

To make sure that the shrub will actually respond like that, it is good habit to quit fertilizing around July or so. If, for example, I were to apply to apply a slow-release fertilizer in September, all that nitrogen might keep it in growth mode for a while though, as those fertilizers last about 2-3 months. And if one uses some of those high nitrogen Miracle Gro fertilizers often, that can confuse the plant and keep it too "active". So, I try to stop all the fertilizers, liquid seaweed, liquid fish and coffee grounds sometime in early July for hydrangeas planted in the ground. For those in pots, you could switch to low nitrogen and higher phosphorous/potassium fertilizers in July and sprinkle some micronutrients with liquid seaweed or liquid fish.

A single fertilizer application in Spring will usually do fine for most of the whole year if the plant is planted in the ground and the soil has no mineral problems. Examples of fertilizers are cottonseed meal, compost and composted manure. A half a cup to one cup of them will work for a newly planted hydrangea. A general purpose slow-release chemical fertilizer like Osmocote 10-10-10 will also work.

By the way, now would also be a good time to check on mulch levels and add more if you have less than 3-4".

Luis

o
RE: hydrangea still growing

Tennessee is one of the prime locations in the US to grow hydrangea of any type. Simply cut spent blooms off and watch the show!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here