Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Bright pink Quick Fire bloom!

ostrich
14 years ago

OK, so we have had a very dry and sunny week and so my latest Quick Fire blooms have turned bright pink! Hurray!

Comments (21)

• madeyna
    14 years ago

That very pretty but totally different than the tiny one I just brought home . Did it go threw a creamy pink stage first?

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

madyena, it was pure white to start with and then it just turned this pink!!!

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Wow thats pretty I hope mine gets with it soon. I am hoping for some fall leave color as well.

• ditas
    14 years ago

At last Ostrich, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Not even the assaults of your Bambi munchers, could alter huh ?!

I remember the discussions we had in a couple of threads re: QF's process into this rosy-brick/bright-pink/red, color transformations. Now we know better than to draw very narrow conclusions ... as only *Ma Nature* always has the last say, in each of our locale right?

Mine has gone thru several different hues of her darker pinkness ... as George alluded to, when he mentioned the factor of water ... you introduced the influence of cooler summer temps ... & I thought it was mostly our Iowa sun ... remember?

How many blooms did you finally get, after Bambi's picnic in your *painter's pallet* of lovelies?

I just had a huge bunch of ((Lady A Duff) peony roots (eyes) dug up, 3'-4' beside QF ... on her other side is L'Lamb (I intend to prune hard in Spring). I temporarily set the new pot of L'light on the spot to visualize (looked good!) ... I'm trying to create a specimen row ... what do you think or do you know of another H. p. that would be upright & panicles not so overwhelming?

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ditas, you are absolutely right - it does not matter what we do - "Ma Nature" does have the last say in EVERYTHING! LOL

Actually, Bambi hardly touched my QF. In fact, that is another thing that I like about it - unlike PW which has been a deer magnet, QF has really not been munched on at all! There are plenty of blooms, but the shrub was much cuter when it was smaller last year, as the blooms were disproportionately bigger then... still, it's a great looking plant!

BTW, Ditas, my Limelight is coming up with many new blooms too! So now I have this incredible symphony of pink and lime green colors on my LL - love it!

Even my PW has lots of buds now. This is one thing that I love about the paniculatas - even though the darn bambi chewed on the buds before, they will just come back with more buds later! Just wonderful plants!!! :-)

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Would you post a picture of your pink Lime Light blooms? Mine has yellow leaves and and the flowers are starting to turn a soft pink. I,m not sure if its really a lime light . It and the Quick Fire don,t look anything like the ones I,ve seen at the nursery. I got them at a feedstore?nursery and they were both in black pots with generic tags on them . To be truthful they look a awefull lot alike. I know my Pw is the right plant because of the pot and tag and it matchs the pics on the tag and here. The LL and QF don,t look like anything I,ve seen here so far.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

madeyna, I will take a photo of it another day (it's too dark outside now). Let me just say though that my Limelight is now in its 3rd season. Prior to this year, it did not look so great. Now it is a more mature plants, the blooms are lovelier and the colors are more vivid. Maybe it has to do with our cooler weather this summer too... anyway, perhaps if you give yours more time, it will get better like mine?

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I hope so are the leaves yellow on yours?

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, there is no yellow leaf yet....

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Crud, mine were yellow when I bought it now they are getting a redish tinge.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

madeyna, this is a photo from this morning. I am not sure if it captures the colors well though....

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to take and post that great pic. My flowers arent nearly as dense and the leaves are yellow with a red tinge but the flower color and leave shape at least look right. Your QF is stunning I really don,t think thats what I have. I guess I,ll give them a year and see if how both my QF and LL mature out.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Very nice picture, ostrich. That shrub is definitely a keeper. How is your PW doing now? Did you not also have that one too? Luis

• ditas
    14 years ago

G'morning Ostrich & Madeyna - QF never seems to show off her total stunning beauty on cam ... this year she is my best photographed, as I've been trying to capture her glow, as well as her enigmatic nuances, from orangee to rosy, in her bright pink stage! Another feature that I think so lovely are the red canes that shows thru!!! Â;)

So this is how L'light I just put in the ground will look like in a few years ... she does arch a bit from the wt of her blossoms huh? Some of her good size blossoms are almost identical-looking as my Lil Lambs', right beside QF!

Thanks for sharing!!! It's very helpful to visualize, as I'm deciding on yet another H paniculata, on QF's other side!

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I,m looking for a Pink Diamond my self. I love the looser flowers and soft colors. I,m still kicking my self for not getting one at the nursery when I bought PW. I had just spend a hour picking just the perfect PW and only had room for one then saw the PD at the register another lucky ladie had it in her wagon. I,m going back to day to see if they got anymore in.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi again Madeyna - if you can hold your excitement & look/wait for Angel's Blush to be available, you might like her better (IMHO) ... even if all you find is just a baby-gal size!!!

AB is PD's baby ... an improved version, if you please ... lacier like her mom but trained to bear herself more upright.

Another to check out is Unique, like the cousins' loose, lace-like panicles but the infertile florets are a bit larger. Mine is just a baby but already I'm adoring her!!! Some like the pom-type blossoms. I prefer the less overwhelming look of the fertile-infertile lace-look & if possible no more than 8" long panicles ... so far Unique tends to have this habit, but again she is still young. QF's rounder, shorter panicles is just perfect for me!

Wishing you all the best on your search & have fun!!! Â;)

• madeyna
    14 years ago

To late I found a PD and a Snow Flake today. I will have to put the Angels Blush on my list to check out as well. I do seem to be liking the looser flowers as well .They had a Tarvia (sp?) that is just stunning but way more than I wanted to spend. I,ll wait and ask around about their hardieness . I don,t need anymore that have to live under the house all winter, and I seemed to remember that someone here said it is a bit of a Diva.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Well ... CONGRATULATIONS on your new acquisitions!!! Snow Flakes huh?!!! From what I've read, this H quercifolia develops 12-15"panicles described by M Dirr as the "most beautiful of the sterile-flowered forms" ... "multiple sepals emerge on top of the older ones, creating double flowered appearance" ... wow ... who could go wrong with that?!!!

Tardiva had been bandied as such, it seems ... I have worse *Divas* in my piece of soil ... both of mine are 5y/o & formed flower buds no later than any other paniculatas I have. In other zones she seems to be known as a tardy bloomer, hence her name. Here under our Iowa full sun, blooms flashed in mid-July w/o fail yet!!! She is a zone3 hardy, I believe, zone5, certainly!!!

BTW AB's other name is *Ruby*.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Luis! Yes, I do have Pinky Winky too. It is finally catching up a little bit and not doing badly!

Earlier this season (in spring) my poor PW was suffering from a lot of deer damage. The deer just bit off many of its buds, despite my best effort to protect them with all sorts of anti-deer sprays... sigh! Anyway, so its growth was stunted and it looked like a mess. Furthermore, I really did not have blooms.... well, that is until NOW! Finally, the shrub is filling in and there are buds all over the shrub! I posted a photo of one of the bi-colored blooms in a different message. I can't wait for it to be in full bloom! Hopefully, our weather will stay warm enough for it to do so.... let me take a photo of it some time and show it to you! :-)

• ditas
    14 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's true resiliency & tenacity despite assaults & time!
    Can't wait to see images of PW!!! Â;)

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

Simply beautiful ostrich. Wish I had one of these. All we can get locally is the blue nikko and the pee gee and they run $25.99 for a 6 inch pot.