Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

What Did I do To My Hydrangeas?

treehugger101
9 years ago

I am in zone 6. This spring was very late. I trimmed the bushes back as I always do. However, none of my 11 trimmmed the same day have bloomed. They have also grown twice the size in green growth and are now overtaking the beds. Can someone tell me what I did, if they will bloom next year and if they will return to normal size next year? I hate the thought of moving 11 bushes and really missed the blooms this year. By the way, some are Niko Blues, some Annabelles and some are minis - Tinkerbelles. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

You have about three things going on as possibilities with your hydrangeas. This last winter was harsh on hydrangeas on your side of the country, many gardeners are complaining of few to no blooms. How old are these plants in years, I'm not clear on what you consider their normal size.

Fertilizing, particularly with a product high in nitrogen can lead to foliage growth and diminished flowering. But were you realistic when you planted these, aware of what height and width they would reach once established.

You've mentioned three different types of hydrangea. 'Annabelle' (Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle') blooms on wood produced the current gardening year or 'new wood', and can be pruned if necessary in Spring. Hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue produces flowers on old wood, or wood that has grown the previous year - pruning in Spring removes the flower buds. Hydrangea âÂÂTinkerbellâ is also a macrophylla but a new cultivar with re-blooming habit - it will bloom on old wood with some repeat later in the season on the currents years growth.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Annabelle is 17 years old. The Nikko Blues are about 11 years old. The Tinkerbelle's are 1 year in the ground. I have no history with Tinkerbelle but the others obviously I do. I have pruned the same way for a long time and they bloomed like crazy. This year, nothing. I am stunned over the green growth though. They are too large for their spaces. It seems to me that blooming could be affected by the Winter but then why the amazing green growth? Can I trim these bushes back or do I need to move them? They have crowded out everything in the beds.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Since the season is nearly over why not just do what you normally do, especially since those plants are so well established, and see what happens.

I know with roses they suggest taking the buds off for the first year to promote root and bush growth. Flowering takes a lot of energy from the plant. Quite possibly since the hydrangea's didn't bloom they put all that energy into growth this year. 'twas a weird year.

SCG

• stillwelljill
    9 years ago

Hi, I am curious as to the height and width in previous years, in your beds, for one of the Annabelles and for one of the Nikko Blue?? Knowing the usual size of these varieties in your beds might help with an answer. I am sorry you're having these problems this year.

This post was edited by stillwelljill on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 21:56

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

- Don't cut back hydrangea macrophylla unless absolutely necessary. If old wood was killed to the ground over winter, you can more or less forget about blooms whether you trim it or not.
    - Try not to cut back Annabelles and the like past April. Otherwise you run the risk of retarding the blooms. OR the buds got mowed by deer.

Due to the severity of the past winter, the plants' defense mechanisms are to respond with more vigorous growth rather than blooms, which explains size increases. Endless Summer folks have been going round and round with customers about it. My David Ramseys, for example, have hit 60" tall from 0" and are *just* beginning to form a couple of flowers.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still, Annabelle was 2/12 - 3' high normally. Now she is 3 1/2' high and huge. Nikkos are usually 3'. Now they are 4 1/2' and almost twice as wide as normal. If I cannot cut them is it ok to move them? I want to plant bulbs in the bed they are in and can't do it where they are now.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Springwood, Thanks for the info. My questions is can I move them now? I plan to use mycorrhizal fungi to help with transplant shock. If not, am I stuck with these enormous plants forever or next year will they go back to normal size? Thanks for the help.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

tree hugger thats way smaller than the normal mature size for those plants. I would move them. Its safe to move them this time of the year where I live but you might want to call a local nursery in your area to see if its safe to move them now in your zone.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know. I have 2 Annabelles on the property are at least 4 1/2 feet all the time when they aren't flopped over. This one is up against the house. The two Nikkos are in gardens. I Googled when to move them and got differing opinions. That is why I came to the experts here. I guess I will just move them. I am in zone 6. Thanks.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    9 years ago

I would consider what type of fertilizer is used. It sounds to me as if you are using a quick release with high nitrogen. Get your soil tested and adjust accordingly. The stems of the Annabelles should be strong enough to prevent flopping over. Lots of green with few or no blooms and weak stems usually means too much nitrogen.

Like most shrubs, these should be resting or dormant from cool weather when being transplanted. Zone 6 is a bit too warm right now. I would wait til the beginning of Oct. at the earliest and probably late October. You can prepare the hole in advance but do get that soil analysis.

Remember that if the shrub is against a wall it is in a warmer spot than what would be in the open. A Hydrangea bush should be set at least three to four feet from the wall.

This post was edited by sleeplessinftwayne on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 15:00

• stillwelljill
    9 years ago

It would be best to move them either in fall when they are dormant (dropped leaves) or in the spring before they begin to grow leaves. Let us know how they are doing next year if you move them.
    I love a bed of spring flowers.....I bet your idea of planting bulbs will turn out great!

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

It's easiest to move things in the Spring, especially when soil is still spongy. For fall bulbs, they might just need to wait a year. Also a tip, things like Nikkos will habitually stay smaller when planted *directly against* a foundation. Nikkos that are out in the middle of a bed, however can eventually hit sizes approaching 10x10' depending on how mild the climate.

Annabelles, in contrast, never exceed 5' in height but their diameters can get big because they sucker out, and can do so up to 18" away from the main stem clump depending on where the roots feel they can spread.