Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

What hydrangea for zone 5 and more sun?

kentstar
12 years ago

I am thinking of redoing my hydrangea bed. Right now I only have planted some purple dome asters, a F&E Blue Heaven hydrangea, and a daylily there. It's a small bed of only about 6 ft wide by 4 ft deep maybe? Small I know lol.

The F&E hydrangea hasn't done well there and I have no where else to plant her. Too much sun there maybe? A lot of her leaves are "burnt looking" all year. I am getting a soil test of the area. Should get the test back any day now.

I need a hydrangea that can withstand with ease my zone 5b NE Ohio winters. The bed would face south and is situated on the north side of my house. The area does stay pretty moist I think as the asters do very well there!

If fact the asters will take over in no time, which I din't know when I planted the purple domes lol. The tend to crowd out the hydrangea.

So, any word on a cold hardy hydrangea that doesn't mind more sun (like sun from morning till about 3 or 4 o'clock?

Here's a pic of the bed from last year. The asters now encompass the whole front of the bed!

Comments (3)