Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need more than one Annabelle?

Posted by vpeterson 4-MN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 19:53

I bought an Annabelle today (50%) off. There were three more there (Annabelles) that I didn't get. I am wondering if I should go back and get a couple more so that they can support themselves or should I wait until next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need more than one Annabelle?

Yes, you could do like a hedge and help them support themselves but even at the beginning you may need to put some chicken wire to provide support. Since many times, rain that accumulates on the blooms is the culprit, a location where they get some protection from rain will help. That is what helps protect lone Annabelle. Now, the advantage of buying more is they all together can help each other is done like a hedge and, aesthethically, buying them all now, means that their height/width may now be in sync with each other. But if you wait until Spring, the new ones may be not as tall or not as wide as the one you just bought and well, -depending on your tastes- that may bother some people. Not a big deal to me and easy to fix but... I know some gardeners who would get bothered by something like that. The ones sold now also tend to have some discount or lower price but new ones in Spring will not.

This post was edited by luis_pr on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 5:28

o

My Annabelles spread quickly--which means I can dig up a good clump (with some rootball) and plant it, watering it in well. In a couple years time, they will both be the same size--ht and width.

Cheap way to do it.

Kate

o

I started with one start from a friend. I now have a thick bush 4 foot wide and tall. They multiply very well and in our zones they die to the ground every winter and regrow with brand new shoots each year. No worry about varying hts. Last 2 winters we did have zone 6 type winter, and mine did not quite die to the ground but still no height variation. Hydrangeas winter differently further south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here