Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saisson_gw

Tardiva vs. Unique Hydrangeas

saisson
17 years ago

What are the differences between these two hydrangeas?

Which one would you recommend for a shady area?

Comments (5)

• silvergold
    17 years ago

Tardiva blooms later than Unique. Many of the Unique sold are not true Unique - very mixed up in commerce. Some say that we don't have any true Unique in the US. Both are fairly upright in form. Regarding shade, I have several paniculata in bright shade and they do really well. If you have dark or full shade they might not do as well.

• ditas
    14 years ago

H Paniculata afficionados - Please help! I couldn't find any threads on H paniculata 'Unique' except for this very old one ... can any of you clarify this posted response by silvergold?

"Many of the Unique sold are not true Unique - very mixed up in commerce."

To quote from M.Dirr's H book - H paniculata chapter/section on Unique: "This cultivar is horribly confused in nursery commerce, and seldom is the true form as described, provided."

I received a gift, Hp Unique, on Mom's Day & wanted to know more of her growth habits more than the tag described ... what may I expect from this paniculata's blossom. Would any of you have one?

TIA! Â;)

• ego45
    14 years ago

Dita, in a link below you could find images of true 'Unique' which (I believe) is not distinctly unique at all and therefore constantly mixed with PG in commerce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unique at Esveld

• ditas
    14 years ago

Thank you for the link, George - 'hope the blossoms won't be too overwhelmingly gigantic, being a seedling of 'Floribunda'. The Tardiva blossom-size is just perfect for me with the larger sepals as promised by Unique & hopefully, upright as well ... it'll be OK.

This 'U' comes in a 2.7+gal pot about 2' tall, I'm sure he'll take some years before potential size is reached ... hopefully, the blossoms won't make this little guy look odd.

Thanks again! Â;)

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hello Unique owners - 'just updating how pleasing, Unique is growing up!!!
    Now that he is in the ground for a while (planted on 7/1/09) all the nursery boosted buds blossomed, now turning over w/ a hint of green & fertile ones have hardened ... I feel, I can judge this new kid in the block, a bit fairly!

3' tall now, the taller canes, have larger than original nursery-grown foliage on ... the buds, produce after a few of weeks of planting adjustment, are now flushing with, some 1.5" infertile florets (larger than any of the other paniculatas I have) covering the tiny fertile ones. At least I am reassured that, the site (sunnier than part/shade) is a good home!

I hope to hear of your 'Unique' as well! Thank you! Â;)