Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulipsmiles

Fall Prune new and transplanted Endless Summer?

tulipsmiles
14 years ago

I just watched a YouTube video on Hydrangea care and they suggested that I fall prune my Endless Summer Hydrangeas. For some reason, this doesn't sound right to me...

I live in zone 6 Boston, Ma

I have several newly planted young hydrangeas that have been in the ground about 3 months and doing ok, as well as 3 transplanted hydrangea plants that have been in the ground about 5 months and are still are not happy campers.

Would you suggest I do anything, at this point?

I was going to leave them be, and hope they make it through our winter. I would then prune them in the Spring.

Do all of you prune Endless Summer Hydrangeas in the fall?? I have never heard of that...

Thanks for your feedback. My question may show how "green" I am at this!

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Beware of what you may find on YouTube.......any yo-yo can put a video together that can instruct you to do this practice when and in this manner......doesn't mean there is any validity to it :-)

Your instincts are good. Leave the plants alone until spring, then prune to remove any dead wood. And that's it! No need to prune back harder, cut back to the ground (unless all deadwood) or otherwise shape or control size. Just remove what is obviously dead. In spring. When the new growth buds emerge and you can tell what's alive and what isn't. :-))

• tulipsmiles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Gardengal48 - I should just have trusted my gut instinct!

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Usually, you do not need to prune hydrangeas. If the plant was placed in a location where it can grow to its size at maturity, pruning will not be needed often.

In general, you want to prune to remove dead wood; to rejuvenate an old plant; for safety reasons; for aesthethic reasons (one stem grows more than the others); to create a standard hydrangea tree-like shape (usually done with paniculatas).

ES is rebloomer hydrangea. As all hydrangeas that bloom on old wood only, ES develops flower buds in the Fall. If the stems and the buds survive winter in your area then these would develop blooms in Spring. But after that flush of blooms or if the stems dry out during winter, ES will develop new flower buds and bloom some time after the first flush. The longer your growing season is, the more flushes of blooms you can have.

Deadheading (not the same as pruning) will help ES produce more blooms; maybe this is what they were talking about in the video. See the link to the Endless Summer Website below.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: ES Website: Care and growing tips

• tulipsmiles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To all, thanks for your feedback and info. Luis - thanks for that website, it was very helpful!

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

When you do your cutting back what do you do with those cuttings? Would you consider sharing them? Drop me an email and let's talk. Thanks. in advance.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

What about cutting off dried blooms that you want to use indoors? Is that going to bother the shrub?

• maplerbirch
    14 years ago

Jerry, have you had success with cuttings from Hydrangeas? What is your secret?

• teri55
    14 years ago

With Endless Summers, wherever they touch the ground they root and you can then cut them off the shrub and start a new plant - at least it's worked for me.

• monica4garden
    14 years ago

In addition, to Teri55 post, try to leave them attach to the mother plant as long as you can (for fast growing). Once you cut them off the mother plant, these babies are on their own and it will slow down the growing process (at the begining only).