Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Diamond problem.....!

Posted by ostrich z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 21:07

I must be the ONLY person here who is having problems with Pink Diamond! I would very much value your advice.

My poor PD was planted over a year ago in a partly sunny location where a tree stump was, on the edge of a small cliff (of my ravine). I had that ground and so the area was full of that ground stuff. Also, it's surrounded by some other trees too so maybe that's why... despite my effort to amend the soil, by adding peat moss and garden soil, something is sucking up the water fast there. So poor PD is wilting intermittently, and I have to supplement it with some deep watering quite often during dry weather (like once or twice a week). As a result, its growth has been quite stunted. To add more insult to the injury, those darn Bambi also gave it an early spring "pruning" too...!!!!!!! Sigh...

Is it just that the location has too much competition for water, or is it that the ground up wood is causing a problem, or is it anything else that is causing this insatiable appetite for water, hence intermittent wilting?

Is there anything else that I can do to amend the soil? Or am I better off moving that poor PD? If you advice that I should move it, please tell me what I should plant there instead!!! :-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Diamond problem.....!

The angle, close to a small cliff, can make gravity drain the water more than you would like it to and act as if you had sandy soil, where people have to water 50% more. I am not sure if this would help compensate fully but you could try water absorbing polymers and other materials. An organic minded store once recommended shale rocks that absorb and later release water (or at least I think it was shale rocks). I can call them to confirm if you are interested so you can locate a source closer to your home.

Keep them well mulched, maybe even past the drip line. and do watch out for competition from other plants as that certainly could also force you to water more often.

I wish I could think of a way to know for sure where all the water is ending up. Are any of the competing plants shallow rooted?

o

Do you have a little mound of soil on the down side of the plant to hold the water in long enough for it to absorb into the soil?

o

Hi luis and madeyna,

Thank you so much for your input. I think that I will look into the water absorbing polymers. luis, I don't think that the other competing trees have a shallow root system. I will certainly mulch it well though - so far I have got lots of wood chips over the area but perhaps I really need much more organic matters that will decompose there. madeyna, I will create that little mound of soil on the side too! :-)

Thanks again for your help!

o

Just a thought... I've had several trees removed and the stumps ground... while the "sawdust" is decomposing it sucks all the nitrogen out of the soil.... so maybe it's puny because it needs a bit of fertilizer? I usually wait a year before planting anything in the same space... even after turning in peat, compost, new soil, etc... I just give it some time to break down... then it is FABULOUS soil!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here