Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msalcido_gw

New Hydrangeas

msalcido
13 years ago

Fall has finally arrived and so have my new hydrangeas. : )

Here are a few pics of my new beauties -

Masja - got this one on Ebay for $2.99 plus $6.00 shipping -LOL. I really like the color and it is doing very well (so far)

All Summer Beauty -

Domotoi-

Akishino-Temari - this one is just beautiful. I've never seen one like this. I can't wait until it blooms.

Just thought I would share. I hope everyone else is having a great fall so far.

Comments (7)

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

Ah, good to see you got some Masjas that survived their trip! Mine are all doing fairly well except one, which I think is in media that isn't draining sufficiently. It is droopy, and not for lack of water. The hard rains a couple weeks ago flooded all my pots on the front porch and I had to repot. This one hasn't caught up with its "littermates" yet, so may repot it again or put different media in (potting soil, rather than the soilless mixture it's in now). All are showing new growth and the stems are starting to turn woody. Only problem is I think I have caterpillars, so gotta deal with that.

The leaves are all green, though... not the tint that yours is showing, so that's kinda cool :)

My little crape myrtles have lacewing eggs on them, so I've moved them over by the masjas, in the hopes that perhaps some of the larva migrate.

Keep us posted, I'd love to see how yours do, up at the other end of I-45 :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Those look good, just remember at that size, if you should have a freezing winter storm or late Fall storm you'll want to move them up against your house, temporarily into a garage, someplace a little protected until the storm passes. We had an unusually hard freeze here the first week of December last year that was fatal to young things in small pots.

Ivysmom, essentially any 'potting soil' you buy these days is a soilless mix, no soil included. They are formulated for drainage and aeration that soil cannot provide in pots - which is not to say some brands are not better than others.

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

morz8 - might be a defective pot then, or that one plant has other issues, because it seems soggy all the time, but the other ones are draining OK. It's been great, except for the one.

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@morz8 thanks. I'm in Dallas and we don't usually have to worry about freezing over until late Jan-March. I have a "pop" up greenhouse which will house the hydrangeas from the cold.

@ivysmom- I only ordered on masja. It arrived yesterday and as strange as it may seem it has two new leaf blooms on it. So I'm very hopeful. As for the color, I had no idea they did this so it's a nice surprise. Glad to hear yours are doing well. I would try and repot the one that is not doing good.

Also I thought lacewings were bad for plants? Are they beneficial?

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

I had to look it up once someone told me they were lacewing eggs. They are beneficial! They don't eat the plants, they eat aphids, caterpillers and other creatures that chew on plants, so... yay!

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just looked them up! I've seen those eggs and always destroyed them : (

I had no idea they were beneficial. I'll have to start paying closer attention to what I kill. : )

Thanks for the information!

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

Well if you got them once, you'll probably get them again. Now you know :) You can thank this forum for that -- I learned about the in the Trees group.