Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Repeat blooming white hydrangeas?

Donna
15 years ago

Hi, folks. I am not usually on this forum, but like to drop in and read from time to time. I planted a border of Blushing Bride hydrangeas this spring and they are just starting to bloom. They are pink. Lovely plants, but I really wanted snowy white, or just the slightest hint of pink or blue. I know there are dozens and dozens of hydrangeas. I need something that won't get over about 3 to four feet high and wide, and that repeats throughout the summer: either mophead or lacecap. Does such a thing exist?

Comments (9)

• ditas
    15 years ago

Hi Donna - we meet again! Â;)

My BB had the slightest hint of powder blue in her 1st season '07. This year she was dressed in pure white, as a bride that lasted for 2.5 mos before showing a hint of blue & proceeds to her usual habit of maturing to wine by Fall, except for those scorched by the sun. She has recently thrown a few more white clusters & hopefully will mature gracefully, with the gentler sun, this time of the year!

I hope you BBs surprise you w/ pure white blossoms next season, as did mine!

• ego45
    15 years ago

Though it is my first year with BB and it's too early to make a definite conclusions, but it seems like that in order for BB to be a pure white it has to be grown in neutral or just slightly acidic soil.
    Donna, your pinks are result of grower's use of alcaline potting medium and that should go away next year if you soil is at least neutral.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Donna, look for F&E 'White Out', coming out next season. Like all of the Forever and Ever series, it blooms on both old and new growth, so should be a repeat bloomer. FWIW, my Mme. Emile Mouillere blooms throughout the summer, beginning in late June and is still producing flowers. Not what is technically called a 'repeat' bloomer, but in my garden at least, a constant bloomer :-)

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to you all for the tips. I will give my BBs another year or two before I pass final judgement. It well could be that potting medium. Hadn't thought of that.

gardengal, I have heard of Madame before. I will add her to my list for things to order come January. I am glad to hear that she can repeat too. That's a real plus.

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Gardengal! I just found this on the web. I will be looking for White Out next year. It sounds like a perfect size. Thanks for the tip!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Out Hydrangea

• stillwelljill
    15 years ago

Donna, The F&E White Out is available now in some good nurseries. I found some available and bought two of them, plus a peppermint F&E. Here is a photo of them sitting side by side:

{{gwi:1018923}}

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, gorgeous! My best bet is going to be Lowe's. They are the only ones in my area that have carried the Forever and Ever series. Thanks for the pictures. You have whetted my appetite!

• linrose
    15 years ago

Just came back from Lowes with three new F&E White Outs. I have a white shade garden that they will fit perfectly in. I'm hoping they will perform better for me than my ES that has yet to have stems winter over for me.

Here is a pic of the huge flowers. The foliage is equally large. I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

• willowfair_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

I purchased a blue hydrangea, it is now june and they are white . does anyone know for sure what makes this happen

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio