Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teabag43

Endless Summer Overwinter

teabag43
14 years ago

I have a couple of endless summer plants that are about 3 years old. They bloom wonderfully and have grown into decent size bushes. I live in the Toronto area and each winter they die back to the ground. It seems such a shame when the are large thriving bushes. Is there any way that I can protect them so that the stems survive through our winter?

Comments (4)

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

You can search the hydrangea forum as there are numerous threads on winter protection.

On the other hand, if it ain't broke...

• ditas
    14 years ago

Another Toronto gardener I learned from, a few years back ... used large cardboard boxes that she opens up to cover the stems with. She splays down the pliable stems to the ground ... cover with dry-fallen-leaves ... cardboard over ... held down with bricks ... cover on top with more collected leaves ... works very well!!!

If bush is too large, bundle the canes w/ bedsheet strips, loosely fill in some dry fall-leaves/pine needles ... wrap w/ burlap & if you really want more work as I do, create a cage around the bundle & drop more dry leaves/pine needles!

In my similar zone, I don't go this length for the ESs. I have others I enslave to ... see my pics.

Have a great Fall!

Here is a link that might be useful: More than you need to!

• lsimms
    14 years ago

There should be no need to overwinter Endless Summer. The whole point of the plant is that it can die back to the ground and resurrect. I will cut mine down to the ground after the first frost.

However, if you have these in the front of your house and you still feel the need, I protect my rose pillars by putting dark bamboo blinds around them. At Christmas, I cut up my tree and stick the cuttings down in there. It's a more attractive alternative to any shrub protection I've ever seen.

Good Luck!

• lsimms
    14 years ago

I found a pic of the overwinter screen for my roses. I think it's applicable to hydrangeas. I think it's kinda pretty, too. I had to find something attractive. Chicken wire, burlap. I dunno, it just didn't do it for me. So I spent some bucks to buy the blinds. I figured it was worth the cost. Heavens, I care so much about the blooming appearance, why not the winter look? Anything else would probably bug me every time I walked out the door.

To the left are all my ES hydrangeas, pretty much cut down from the 5+ feet they reached. I bought them because they didn't need winter protection. It's just a matter of days until those leaves turn to spinach, sigh.

Well, if you've got tender hydrangeas in the front of your house and you need to protect them, this might work.

Good Luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Screen