Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildhaven_gw

White Diamonds

wildhaven
10 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I found quite a few White Diamonds hydrangeas marked down to $3 each at Home Depot today, so brought two home with me. I'm new to growing hydrangeas, but did do some research on them when I decided to have them as part of the landscaping in my new garden. I hadn't seen White Diamonds mentioned during that research, and have come up with little otherwise. Is anyone growing these? Any advice, comments, pictures to share?

Home Depot also had Incrediball marked down to $3 each, but the plants didn't look all that great so I decided to pass on them. I might just keep stalking them to see if they reduce the price on the Endless Summer variety...

Comments (19)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

You are so lucky. No hydrangea sales in my neck of the woods (too hot).

I have not seen any recent problems/complaints about this Dirr introduction so treat it as you would any paniculata. It can handle full sun but should you be able to provide a sliver of shade during the hottest part of the summer days, it would be appreciated. Morning sun and afternoon shade would be fine as well. It and Incrediball are hardy to Z5. ES is advertised as hardy in your zone too but a lot of people complain about blooming problems in Z5 so maybe try one ES plant (as opposed to a bunch for a hedge) to first see how it works for you.

Provide water frequently enough to prevent periods of dry soil, followed by periods of moist soil and back to dry soil again. No need to fertilize this year. The potting medium probably contains those round fertilizer pellets and they will last until 2014. Fertilize in Spring with 1/2 to 1 cup of compost, composted manure or cottonseed meal. And keep it well muched year around (3-4"). Water early in the mornings (1 gallon in Spring; mopre in the summer). Water only the soil not the leaves. Water from the root ball outwards, as there are not yet many roots far away from the base.

Enjoy those sales, wildhaven.
    Luis

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

I want to bump this thread, not for the OP, but for me:)

There is a nursery near here that is selling "White Diamonds" and "White Blush" varieties and I am not finding much here except for this thread, which isn't much at all.

Does anyone have experience with either of these?
    Are they worth $35?
    Any comments?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Both are trademark names so perhaps more info available under their registered name. Both are paniculatas - White Diamonds is 'HYPMAD I' and White Blush is very likely another trademark name for Angel's Blush, aka 'Ruby'. All paniculatas are tough, hardy hydrangeas that will tolerate a fair amount of sun. All share similar characteristics in producing white flowers in a large, cone shaped panicles that often fade to a rosy pink as the flowers age. The biggest difference between cultivars is the overall size of the plants and the size/shape of the flower heads and the degree to which they color up as they age.

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

Thanks for your comment, Gardengal. I have several hydrangeas and I am partial to white flowers in the landscape and I saw both of these today, but I know very little about them in the actual landscape.

I was hoping someone would have planted them or known someone that had.

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago

WD is a semi-dwarf, and is one of Mike Dirr's breeds I believe. Haven't grow it though. I've seen some too though, all for $35.

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

I'm going to make a light assumption that the lack of perceived popularity, both here and elsewhere online, is a sign that things may not be going so well.

Either that or they are very underrated? (Optimistic) haha

• stillwelljill
    8 years ago

I have had White Diamond for a number of years. It is one of my favorites. You will love it. When neighbors see all my different paniculatas in bloom, they never fail to ask about White Diamond. It is very special.

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

Where do you have it planted (full sun, mostly shade)? What kind of soil do you have? When does it bloom and for how long? Can you share some pics?

Sorry for the questions but I'm curious :)

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago

I agree. And my biggest case in point has always been rugosa roses. They grow and bloom profusely, and are nearly indestructible by animals and weather. BUT... They make up about 0.5% of retail and nursery stock.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Here's an article on H. paniculata cultivars from a 2011 Fine Gardening written by the head of the H. paniculata trials at the Chicago Botanical Garden. White Diamonds isn't evaluated since it was too new to have been in their trial for 5 years, but there is a sidebar about the newer varieties and this is one he liked.

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

Thanks again, everyone. I know differences may come down to simply size and a little lace, but I was just wondering how they looked in a landscape because I've never seen them outside of a couple nurseries.

• luis_pr
    8 years ago

WD is a "Dirr paniculata" so the chances if it being bad are very low.

• stillwelljill
    8 years ago

I had to move mine just recently due to construction and don't expect a lot from it this year due to transplant shock. But I found a web photo of what mine usually looks like. It is planted in mostly sun and does great, though the blooms will last longer if you give it evening shade or dappled shade. It is more compact than my other paniculatas and blooms toward the middle/end of July. Soil won't really make a difference, just make sure you have good drainage. You will love this hydrangea!

• starlight99
    8 years ago

Wow....I like the the larger petals on the blooms on this hydrangea! None of the nurseries here carry these....:(

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

So I have an appalacian redbud near my property line in back and it gives slight dappled shade to the north and east. I wonder if I could plant some white diamonds there?

I probably need to snap a couple pics and starta thread about "which hydrangea would do best here", kind of thing.

• luis_pr
    8 years ago

Ah, new tree name for me. If the redbud does not have an extensive root system on the top few inches that would compete for water/fertilizer, you could try.

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

It was new last year and is becoming established. They would be approx 5 feet behind it so I wouldn't be disturbing and the redbud is an understory tree so I think it is used to, at least, a little competition. Thanks for your input, Luis.

• Steppskie (5a/b IN)
    8 years ago

I went with my first choice for a hydrangea around the redbud: Little Quick Fire. I got lucky and planted them Monday before we got 3 inches of rain on Tue/Wed. Geez, it really would serve my area well to dry up for a week or so though.
    There weren't any roots around the 3-5 feet away where I planted the hydrangeas, so I think I'm okay.

I still want White Diamonds, but I'm going to wait for a sale...plus I have no idea where to put it yet :)