Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AHS 3-Pack

Posted by ladywindsurfer Z7 SE (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 1:00

At our local Hydrangea Society meeting this week, they were offering a 3-Pack of quart sized Hydrangeas for a nominal donation of $5.
Included were:
Invincibelle Spirit (Pink-flowering Hyd. arb. mophead)
Blue Bunny (Hyd. involucrata)
Lets Dance Starlight

I brought one of the packs home and hope to grow them into mature shrubs.

I have 'Annabelle' and several Hyd. macs, but have never grown H. involucrata or found any at local nurseries.
Have always heard they were too tender for the landscape in my area, but the PW site states they are hardy to Zone 6 (-10F). Anyone have experience with these?
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AHS 3-Pack

"...the PW site states they are hardy to Zone 6 (-10�F)."

I had H.involucrata for 3 years in my 6b and it experienced severe diebacks every winter. Of course it didn't bloom.
I gave it to a friend in a solid z7 (Long Island, NY) where it produced handfull of blooms this year.
Not familiar with this particular cultivar which might have better hardiness characteristics.
In any event, you have nothing to lose, try and see.

o

Wow wow wow what a great buy !I,m looking for two of those and I,m sure I will end up paying closer to $40 each for them. I haven,t heard of the lets dance Star Light. Is it a new release as well?

o

I have seen the Let's DanceSeries being offered by on-line vendors for a year or more, but they often ship rooted cuttings or liners.
According to the nursery that introduced them (link below), they were supposed to be in the retail nurseries this year.

That said, I have not found a single one of the series at any of the local retailers that carry the Proven Winners (PW) line! In fact, I saw no PW plants at all there, throughout the year.
HD is the primary retailer of PW plants in this area and their supplier may not grow the Let's Dance Series or grew tired of having to take back a bunch of dead plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's Dance Starlight Hydrangea

o

Let's Dance was available in my local HD this year.
Let's see how it will overwinter :-)

o

Thanks for the responses!
Since I'll be growing the Blue Bunny in a pot for a year or so, I will probably need to bring it indoors after the first frost.
Last winter was horrible for most of my macs and serratas. Springtime revealed lots of dead canes and some plants were killed back to the roots. Some of those in pots didn't recover. I didn't protect any of them, because during the past 20 years, I had never experienced that problem. No record lows were recorded, it was just an overall colder season than we have experienced in recent memory.
Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here