Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
conditions for hydrangea

Posted by alyrics 5B NE OH (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 2:07

Explain something to me - what pH or conditions do hydrangeas like? I have a large H by my driveway in a dry , alkaline location with a lot of underlying limestone from the driveway bed. For several yrs it's look weak, then this yr, when we had at least a month long drought, it has looked great throwing out a ton of leaves. The deer browse it every winter and I was going to dig it out this summer but left it alone because it looked just fine - even putting enormous flowers out from twigs the deer missed.

I'm transplanting another huge hydrangea into an area with more sun but the soil is very heavy clay and even with amendment it will be heavy. Is it going to like that?
Since azaleas, pulmonaria, ferns and hosta are so happy there, I'm pretty sure the soil leans to the acid altho I haven't tested it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: conditions for hydrangea

Hydrangeas thrive in moist, well-mulched, acidic soil that drains well. They tolerate alkaline clay soils like mine but require some ammending with sulphur or aluminum sulphate in Spring. The locations that these plants were placed in my garden by the previous owner do not include low spots in the garden were water can accumulate. New hydrangeas were planted using existing soil mixed with 50% compost. Because clay soil tends to drain poorly, I try to water only when the soil feels almost dry at a depth of 4" or more. If you are worried, you can try a raised bed. I would mix the soil below the bed with compost and use only acidic soil in the raised bed.

o
RE: conditions for hydrangea

Thanks Louis. I won't have to treat for acidity because we are in a hardwood forest area that is naturally acidic. Its the clay and light exposure. I had the County Extension Agent out twice because of our heavy clay soil. I'd never seen blue clay that smelled because it was so dense! However its great as an base to raised beds because they don't dry out as fast.

I inherited all my hydrangeas and had always avoided them because of deer browse. They are too big to keep up with the spraying, but now I've moved one inside a walkway by the house and I guess I'll break down and wrap the other one for the winter to see if we can find out what a hydrangea is really supposed to look like minus the deer browse. The former owner of this property had more extra time for wrapping the 45+ shrubs she planted that are all susceptible to deer. I can't cope with that and don't want to look at all that burlap all winter - must have been a sight.

Did FW survive Ike intact?
Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here