Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegangirl_gw

Hydrangeas on sale at Lowes-advise me!

vegangirl
16 years ago

I do not know anything about hydrangeas. Lowes has a bunch of them for 50% off. I can't remember all the varieties but there was an Endless Summer.

I bought a variegated one two years ago that didn't survive the winter. I'm in zone 6, 3000 ft.

What should I look for that will survive the winter and actually bloom here?

Thanks!

VG

Comments (8)

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do have a tall white one that blooms every summer. I don't know what it is. These at Lowes are different colors which I am hoping some will work here. Thanks!

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

There is a rule for microclimates -I cannot remember it exactly- that suggests that temperature goes down by 1 degree for every 300ft so, a suggestion would be to consider looking at their labels and choose plants good in Zone 5 (or less) rather than Zone 6.

Endless Summer and Blushing Bride are examples of Macs advertised good in Zone 5.

Paniculatas are also more cold resistant than macrophyllas. If you really like to have some macrophyllas, you still can grow them there but look to see if they are good in Zone 5 and, if they are not and you really want them, be ready to apply winter protection techniques.

What plants are on sale at Lowes????

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luis, thanks so much for that microclimate tip!! That is going to be useful to me.

I hope to go to Lowes today and see! I saw the hydrangeas on Monday and wish I had written down the names. I just remember the Endless Summer for sure and there may have been Blushing Bride too. That sounds familiar. They had half of one of their long tables full of hydrangeas. All their trees, shrubs and perennials are 50% off right now.

Thanks again!
    VG

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, it was all for naught:-( All the hydrangeas were gone already except one variety that was not hardy. Sigh.
    But I'll have the zone info for the next time. Thanks!
    VG

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

There is always next year... and there is always the almost-dead-but-not-fried-yet plant section at Lowes! Usually full of sickly looking tropicals this time of the year though...

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I checked the almost-dead section too :-) They were in the the worst shape I've seen. I have often found good deals in that section but this year they were truly almost dead.

So I'll wait until next year.
    Tahnks again,
    VG

• ostrich
    16 years ago

Hey, you can still check out the almost-dead-but-still-barely-alive section of hydrangeas at Home Depot!!! LOL

I know that the clearance price is very tempting... and trust me, I LOVE clearance sales, but for my hydrangeas, I decided that I would rather choose the healthy and disease-free ones than those almost dead clearance ones... and then I would save on something else instead! :-)

Good luck with your hydrangea search!

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ostrich,
    Thank you! The first hydrangeas I saw actually looked very good. They were 50% off, but I didn't know if they were winter hardy and would bloom here so I didn't get any. Then when I went back they were gone except for the non-hardy variety. Every tree, shrub and perennial at Lowes was 50% off that week.