Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this ok... or am I killing my Hydrangea tree?

Posted by Joopster 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 9:49

I just got this tree. I know that it's so late into the season but it was discounted from $120 to $50 so I couldn't say no. Anyway, I planted 2 days before our first freeze in Chicago. The stem also seem a little small (being that it's still pretty young) so I used 3 bamboo sticks to support it and then wrapped it up with frost protecting fabric. Is this ok or should I not wrap it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this ok... or am I killing my Hydrangea tree?

No need to wrap the stem.....especially it being black, which will heat up in winter by the sun's rays and create a freeze-thaw situation (not a good thing)....
You may want to put on a plastic (white) mouse guard if you are concerned about mice/rabbits girdling the bark in winter..

o

Thanks for the good tip Ian. It's actually green and pores but I will take your advice and take it off. I really don't want to lose this tree.

This post was edited by Joopster on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:18

o

I'm sure others will give you their opinions on your tree....especially luis_pr, who frequence this forum and will give you good advice.....

Cheers

o

Hello, Joopster. I noticed no mulch under on the soil under the tree so please make sure to add some organic mulch, up to 3-4" to the drip line.

Your idea to use sticks is a good one as these tree-form hydrangeas tend to collapse under windy conditions. Once the root system is big enough, the need for them will disappear but in the meantime, protect them with those bamboo sticks or metal stakes, basically whatever you can find that will keep them from collapsing when the wind blows. If the area is not windy, the bamboo sticks may be enough. If it is windy, consider something more sturdy.

These guys have a big chunk of the weight on the top. Add wind/storms and those moving stems/flowers.etc will cause problems if not staked. Same thing happens to standard roses.

Feel free to water whenever the soil feels almost dry or dry to a depth of 4". Once the plant goes dormant, you can further reduce waterings to once a week or once every two weeks. And of course, stop watering when the ground freezes.

Don't bother fertilizing now, not just because it is so late in the growing season for you, but because the potting mix probably already contains those round fertilizer pellets. Fertilize in Spring instead and enjoy the blooms you now have! Use a 1/2 to 1 cup of compost, composted manure or cottonseed meal only once in the Spring. Then use weak fertilizers like coffee grounds, iquid seaweed and liquid fish thru the end of June to prevent the plant from staying active instead of going dormant.

By the way, the blooms can be deadheaded (not pruned) or left for winter interest. I leave them on the plants and they always manage to disappear by magic sometime after January/February/March.

Luis

o

Thanks luis_pr. I didn't add mulch yet because i want to add some tulips around it first. I will add mulch as soon as i get home today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here