Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Wet can a Pee Gee Hydrangea Get (and still survive)?

Posted by mickeddie 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 10:05

Hi,

I found the perfect spot for my Pee Gee Hydrangea Tree. Well, almost perfect I should say. It is on a swale and the few times it rains heavily up here in PA, water settles in the swale and it becomes like a river. Otherwise, year-round it is just as dry/moist as the rest of my yard. Will it do any (much) harm for my tree if on average it spends a total of 1-2 weeks sitting in a river of rain water? I really don't have any other place for it. The tree is about 7' tall, and it has some good roots, if that helps at all.

Thanks so much!

Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Wet can a Pee Gee Hydrangea Get (and still survive)?

It does not sound like a good idea to me to plant anything under such conditions. There are some trees that can survive under those types of conditions, even in the sea, but I have never heard of hydrangeas being one of them. The roots need to supply oxygen and when this flooding happens, the water prevents air from reaching the roots. It is ok for this to happen for a few hours when the plant is being watered -say- but, for several weeks? Sounds a harsh environment. Has anything else grown in there before?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here