Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annabelle in Full Sun in zone 5 HELP!!!

Posted by hydrangeasnohio z5b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 12:39

I planted an Annabelle in full sun this spring. I dug the hole twice as big as the rootball (3 gallon) and added some good soil around it. But the spot is VERY SANDY! It burned out in midsummer and has never recovered, but is alive. Everthing about looks terrible! So my question is am I wasting my time trying to get it to thrive in this area? Do you think it will make a recovery next year? I water frequently and even poked a hole in a milk jug and filled it up every couple of days for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annabelle in Full Sun in zone 5 HELP!!!

Hydrangeasnohio, if I were you, I would move it. Even in my heavy clay soil, in full sun, my Annabelle requires supplemental watering and we are in the same zone. In sandy soil, full sun and our climate, it would not do too well...

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 14:53

Yep, I'd move it to. Otherwise, you're going to be a slave to it, and it just isn't going to reach its glorious potential. Even if the sunny spot had more moisture-retaining soil, I'd still advise against planting in full, hot sun. It's fine to move it now if you have a spot ready for it.

o

What kind of shrub would you recommend to plant in this area? I just tried a limelight in the same soil conditions that I picked up for very chaep (5 gallon). But gets just barely 6 hours or sun or so. The annabelle area gets more like 10 hours. I would like a hydrangea there, but I am open to any suggestions. Thak you

o

I moved it under a huge sycamore tree and has many things around it with very rich soil. The area probably gets 2-3 morning and an hour or so evening sun. Should be alot better location I hope. But the rootball was massive!!! Wouldn't even fit into a 7 gallon pot. I found the tag to see if I remebered correctly. But it did say full to partial sun. But everything I read now says only morning sun. In it's old location I bought a thornless red rose.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 15:08

Paniculatas thrive in full sun BUT like all hydrangeas need lots of moisture, so if that spot is sandy, it's not a good choice for a paniculata, either - you'll still be a slave to it.

You should mosey over to the Shrubs Forum and ask what types of shrubs will thrive in a full sun, sandy location. Off the top of my head, Caroptysis (a.k.a. Bluebeard) will do fine, and I think purple leaf sandcherry. The folks over there should have lots of suggestions for you. :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here