Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concern with suffocating climbing hydrangea vine

Posted by jeffreytraynor SC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 13:01

I have a climbing hydrangea vine that is growing up a trellis. I recently had some landscaping that resulted in a raised ground level by about 6-8 inches. Will the climbing hydrangea vine suffocate now that the top of the root ball is so far below the surface? Or is this type of vine one that will grow roots from other spots in the stem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concern with suffocating climbing hydrangea vine

Hard to tell but I would be worried too. It could suffer from oxygen defficiency and eventually get root rot but it probably depends on how much the small roots near the "old" top are affected (the ones that usually grow around 4" deep). Those small roots are the ones where the plant absorbs water and they are now 12" deep.

Normally, one plants the shrub leveled with the ground or (better yet) slightly higher than the surrounding soil. But now that it is an additional 8" under the surrounding soil, water could collect there and cause problems if it does not drain quickly. The weight of the soil could make it hard to breathe.

If you want to play it safe, you can always transplant it back into the same spot such that it is higher. You may need to prune it or manually disentangle the stems to do this.

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here