Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrypaw

Advice please - part two!

corrypaw
10 years ago

I had posted on the forum a while back, asking if I could relocate a very large, older hydrangea (5' tall)- thanks to the input I received, we did manage to move it to make way for our walkway to be replaced. BUT - now we have another issue. It survived the move fairly well (so far, at least), but we now realize that the entire lower half of the shrub is bare. I think where it was located before, the bareness wasn't really visible, as other things were in front of it - but now, it's a bit unsightly as all the leaves and new growth are on the upper half, and just bare (but alive) wood on the lower. A neighbor told me I should cut the entire thing back to about 4 inches from the ground, and let it start all over again - another neighbor said, cut it half way after it blooms next spring. I'm not concerned about giving up a year or two of blooms but I'm afraid either of these methods might kill it. Can someone with real knowledge of hydrangeas please tell me the best way to make my favorite shrub attractive again? Thanks so much!

Comments (2)