Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Penny Mac has me confused

Posted by sherryocala 9A Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 13:45

I planted a 3-gallon Penny Mac this spring. It has not bloomed. I wondered if they don't bloom their first year in the ground, but now I'm wondering if the grower (I got it at a local nursery) may have cut it back in the winter and removed all of its flower buds. Also, unfortunately, before I could get it planted the stupid squirrels chewed off 2 or 3 green stems on one side. All of the other branches have grown about 4 ft long, but the chewed ones didn't sprout any new growth and no new growth came from the base on that side. I understood Penny Mac to be a rebloomer, so why didn't it bloom on the new wood that grew this season?

This plant is not behaving as I expected, so maybe someone can enlighten me on Penny Macs in Zone 9A. It gets sun after about 4PM until sunset in the summer.

Thanks so much.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Penny Mac has me confused

It should have bloomed some, unless it is mislabeled and was not Penny Mac (a cousin of Endless Summer). Reblooming in this case, does mean that it may take a month long break (or slightly longer) and-or may wait until teperatures go down if they have been warm/hot.

Another possibility, make sure that you are not fertilizing a lot since this can make the shrub stay in growth mode and produce nice green leaves but no blooms. One application in April-May and anothrt in June should do it for the whole year.

I am not sure if the transplant shock and damage from the squirrels may have caused it to abort flower buds.

Do keep it moist as best as you can. They like constantly moist soil so the more you can approach that, the better. Just do not overdo it because wet soil is just as bad as dry soil. Maintain 3-4" of mulch year around too to conserve water.

o
RE: My Penny Mac has me confused

Thanks, Luis. You reminded me that I never thought about fertilizing it until a week or so ago when I gave it milorganite. Oops. But I did fertilize the bed when I prepared it for planting. It does get daily water, and my sandy soil doesn't hold water long enough to make it too wet. We'll see, I guess, as to who it really is.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here