Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea sprout

Posted by gardenapprentice TN (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 13:47

I was pruning my hydrangeas, while I was mad that my hydrangeas were still having buds break and grow, I noticed what I thought was root. I was soon trying to pull it up and came to find it was a branch grown under the soil and I found a sprouted hydrangea seedling on the branch I just potted it and it has very white fibourous roots can anyone tell me why my hydrangea is still growing and also tell if it was right to pot the seedling up and take it inside

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea sprout

Congratulations on your baby hydrangea! Some branches that come in contact with the soil will sprout roots and begin to grow a new shrub. This method of propagation is called ground layering.

Depending on your weather, I would keep it well mulched outside in an area that has bright shade and is protected from winds. Then as winter sets in, bring it into the garage or a shed where it gets some winter protection and where you can water it once every two weeks or so until Spring. My Zone 8 winters are mild so I might be tempted to keep it outside.

Luis

o

Thx so much....I'm speechless and happy at the same time I read that ground layering is very rare and if done takes up to several months to occur it's very thrilling and I'm going to keep it inside for at least this fall and put out in the spring I want it to get at least 4 inches of growth and I'll let nature take it's course

o

Your hydrangeas are still growing because it has not become cold enough to stop them. I note you are in Tennessee, here in California mine are still growing well. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here