Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you have in bloom?

Posted by madeyna (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 14:01

Both of my Endless Summers has fresh blooms and my Forever and ever origenal and my Forever and Ever Together have fresh blooms.Of course Pinky Winky is still putting on white flowers. I think my Pink Diamond died though. It rolled around in the back of the truck and came out of its pot on the way home last month and got pretty beat up. I repotted it and it seemed to be doing well but I noticed this morning that it dropped all its leaves. I,m going to hold onto it for the winter and hope for the best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you have in bloom?

A Angels Blush followed me home today . Does anyone have pics of it in bloom they would be willing to share?

o

My Endless Summer is now full of buds!!! They are only like 3 months behind!!! LOL! Oh well, they probably will not make it to full bloom as the weather gets colder day by day.

My Pinky Winky is now full of fresh, new white blooms! Some older ones have turned pink at the base. I am hoping that the newer ones will turn pink at the base soon too! That would be very pretty.

My Limelight has quite a few smaller white blooms, mixed in with some larger ones which have turned pink.

My Quick Fire blooms are now a lovely deep pink! Very nice...

2009 has been a strange and late season...

o

I just took a few photos this afternoon for you all... enjoy!

Limelight turning pink with Quick Fire in the background:
Photobucket

Pinky Winky with more blooms now:
Photobucket

Endless Summer with many small blooms at the very top:
Photobucket

o

Great pics. Thanks so much for posting them .I really like seeing how some of the plants I bought late this year will look in the garden and bigger. Maybe you could bring the unfinished ES blooms in when your expecting a killing freeze. My Glowing Embers has put on a bunch of new blooms as well after only giving me two all season. Does anyone here know if they will finish opening inside?

o

I'm jealous! My Limelight and Pee Gee are in bloom and Annabelle is just finishing bloom. We've had one light frost but are expecting a hard frost any day now.

o

What kind of sun exposure do your E.S. get. Mine has never gotten very large, nor does it have that many blooms.
I read that if you leave the old dead growth, instead of cutting it back in the spring, it will act as a cage to keep the shrub more upright.

o

Madeyna, I think whether the buds will bloom fully depends on what zone you are in. I am in zone 5b and though I have lots of buds on my ES, I doubt that they will grow big enough to fully open before it gets too cold. In fact, the growth has slowed right down since the average temperature keeps on dropping day by day. Isn't that depressing?

posieh, where in zone 3 are you?

trustmissy, I have eastern exposure for the ES, so it gets plenty of morning sun, a bit of noon sun and then it is sheltered from the strong afternoon sun. I think that the main thing was that I amended the soil quite a bit and religiously watered the plants deeply during the first couple of years, so it developed a strong root system for it to flourish. That's my theory anyway!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here