Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erictammy

Mystical Flame Hydrangea

erictammy
12 years ago

I have 300 feet of front yard and am considering putting in a Mystical Flame Hydrangea in landscaping near the road. I have very clay soil and quite a bit of wind. I'm in zone 5B. I'm not at all familiar with hydrangeas. Will this plant thrive here?

Comments (10)

• erictammy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, it is far from a water source and would be hard for me to keep watered all summer long. Is that a problem?

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

The wind in that location may be a problem if they are strong enough to make the flower panicles break or bend. Lack of water during the summer months is indeed a problem.

This is a new shrub so little information is available at this time but paniculatas tend to be hardy.

• erictammy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much. A landscaper is recommending that plant but I'm just not sure. Thanks for you input.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Amongst hydrangeas, they can be considered somewhat drought tolerant; the most "drought tolerant" may be the oakleaf hydrangeas though. Still, the need moist soil and cannot stay as dry as -say- roses or daylilies.

• Natsu
    12 years ago

There are a bunch of new dwarf panicle hydrangea out for 2011/2012 season.These paniculatas are drought/salt tolerant with some help. Add some peat moss,mulch,water crystals and let nature do the rest in zones 4,5 and 6.First you should decide if you like the lace type panicle or the fuller panicle this will help you decide where to start.
    The lace type panicle bring winged insects galore bees,flies,hornets,etc.Most of these paniculata types are one trick plants with one bloom period and then yellow leaves.These are larger plants that will blow past the max size limit a bit.The dwarfs vary in form a little,the quality of the flower show is what is important.

White flowers can be seen at night,reds fade away and get lost.These plants work best with foliage background plants like Black Velvet smokebush,Japanese maple,Miscanthus sinensis 'Variegatus'
    or Henry's Garnett sweetspire for daytime veiwing.

Hydrangea Mysticalî Flame
    Hydrangea paniculata âÂÂBokratorchâÂÂ

Video
    Mystical Flame

My two cents,the habit of this plant is ho hum the leaves seem to be in the flower. It looks messy and the flower is a bit too lacy and sloppy.This one reminds me of a Rose of Sharon just a little weedy.When the flowers burn out what is really left.When Sept. first rolls around on the early bloomers that is the end of flower production.

Here is a nearly complete list of the dwarf paniculatas out now.Starting with the best one i have seen so far Sweet Summer.I am a newbie,just sharing what i found while shopping for paniculata's.

Hydrangea paniculata Sweet Summer
    Hydrangea paniculata Bombshell
    Hydrangea paniculata Little lime
    Hydrangea paniculata Baby Lace (hard to find)
    Hydrangea paniculata White Diamonds
    Hydrangea paniculata BOBO
    Hydrangea paniculata Fire and Ice
    Hydrangea paniculata Mystical Flame AKA Everlasting Flame
    Hydrangea paniculata Sunday Fraise (coming soon)

HYDRANGEA quercifolia dwarfs
    HYDRANGEA quercifolia 'Munchkin'
    HYDRANGEA quercifolia Sikes Dwarf

• Natsu
    12 years ago

Forgot to answer your questions.
    Will they thrive? Yes some are rated to zone 3
    Far from water? Best to start with a trench planting then fill the trench with a water retaining soil mixture and native soil. Peat moss,water retaining crystals, native soil and mulch to top it off.In the northeast with good soil there is enough rainfall, that supplemental watering should not be needed.Except for maybe during hottest parts of the summer for the first few years.

Windy planting bed? Strong stems are the key,weak stems will flop. Winter damage if any will be quickly replaced in spring by new growth.

Here is a good example of how a strong stem hydrangea should react to wind.

Hydrangea in the Landscape

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

This plant is a bust. Let me repeat this plant is a bust.

Limelight tends to flop in the rains but do bounce back. Limelight is probably the best hedge style paniculata.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    12 years ago

Id suggest the oakleafs-better fall and winter interest

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

As I but its rare to get flowers in zone 5.

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

For the most part if you prune paniculata in a fashion that promotes thick upright stems off the main trunk then flop shouldn't be much of a problem. But doing this with dwarf varieties may be tricky.

Flowering shouldn't be a problem as long as the "sun-water-fertilization" triangle of conditions is met. Thicker stems will have much bigger blooms, especially at the terminal ends.