Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy Pinky Winky

Posted by roseabbey (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 15:24

I have some pinky winkies that I planted late July. The nursery was having their clearance and got these for a good price however, some of the lower leaves on these plants had died off and they look a little bare from the ground up to about 12 inches. The rest of the plant looks great, lots of leaves and flowers. Do I need to prune them down so in spring the leaves sprout lower down on the plant and they will be more bushy or will they do that without pruning them? If I do need to prune them do I do that now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy Pinky Winky

The leaves will reappear next season all over the stems, so no need to prune for that reason :-) If you want a denser shrub you can cut back the stems but it is not absolutely necessary.....the plant should generate some new growth from the root crown each season anyway. And there is some validity to the argument that allowing the stems to remain intact so that the wood has time to 'ripen' will provide better support for heavy flowerheads and the plant will not droop from their weight. Any pruning on paniculatas should be done in late winter or early spring as new growth emerges - it will have no effect on flower production.

o
RE: Leggy Pinky Winky

Thank you gardengal48 I was hoping I wouldnt have to prune them. Cant wait til next spring, they are gorgeous now so I can just image how great they will look next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here