Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrikswim729

Hydrangea Research Project

Patrikswim729
12 years ago

Hello fellow hydrangea gardeners--

I want to invite you to check out a research project I conducted this past summer (2011) with regards to hydrangea gardening. As a college honors project, my formal paper (more like a mini-book, 88 pages) is available online at www.iwebfolio.com/public/Patrikswim

The report should be of particular interest to those living in non-coastal locations.

My project compared and contrasted cultural requirements of arborescens, macrophyllas, paniculatas, and quercifolias between Zone 7A Nantucket and Zone 6A Cincinnati. The report is chock-full of color photographs and includes lots of instructions with regards to soil acidification, pruning, growing hydrangeas in pots, watering, sunlight requirements, etc. There are also extensive cultivar discussions for each of the four species.

Again, the website is www.iwebfolio.com/public/Patrikswim

Enjoy!

J. Patrik Hornak

University of Cincinnati -- Biological Sciences

(B.S. Candidate)

Comments (5)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Where is the paper located? I started browsing but gave up quickly thinking the link you posted should have linked directly to the paper.

• Hydrangea729
    12 years ago

It is located under the Research and Creative Arts section. Then, on the left tab of the Research section, select "HYDRANGEAPROJECT" which is the PDF.

I wish I could link directly to the page but the portfolio website does not create specific url's for each page in the website.

• kept
    12 years ago

Dear Patrik,
    Thank you thank you for sharing your awesome research paper! You made it a pleasure to read. I have no doubt you will do very well with whatever you choose.
    Hopefully, you will get this message because I think you will know exactly how to answer my question. I have an area that will accomadate a tree 8 tall by 5 wide. From your paper I'm guessing a pinky winky or quick fire would do well. Is there anything else that comes to mind? Would I find anything that would work at a Lowes? I have very similar weather conditions as you do just north of St Louis although we may swelter more with humidity. I too grew up with the most beautiful displays of Hydrangeas on Long Island.
    Thanks again Patrik.
    Vicki

• Hydrangea729
    12 years ago

Vicki--

Glad to hear you enjoyed the paper! It was a work of love just as much as an academic piece. With regards to your spot, you are definitely correct about aiming for a paniculata hydrangea. A very healthy oakleaf that has been given some winter protection would probably be able to grow to 8 feet as well (over several years). From my observations here in Zone 6 Ohio, 'Snow Queen' seems to be the largest growing oakleaf cultivar so you should think about giving her a shot as well.

'Pinky Winky' or 'Quick Fire' would work fine, I'd just go out and find one that you really like in terms of its blooms. 'Pinky Winky' is quite hard to come by unless you are ordering via mail. I see 'Quick Fire' fairly regularly at Lowe's/Home Depot/etc. 'Limelight' is definitely a possibility as well--very common, very beautiful, and should fill that space quite well. There are a lot of beautiful paniculata varieties to choose from! At a big box garden center, 'Limelight' will definitely be the most common.

I hope that helps. I also hope that you grow some macrophyllas in your St. Louis garden to bring some of those East Coast "roots" into the Midwest like I have :)

• Hydrangea729
    12 years ago

I just re-read your post and noticed that you asked for a "tree", so with that in mind, you probably will find 'Quick Fire', 'Limelight', and the old standby, 'Pee Gee'. I have seen all three in tree-form, either here in OH or elsewhere, and I think they will do great for you! I know it gets hot in St. Louis so remember to mulch well and give your hydrangea TIMELY irrigation (quality over quantity, if you catch my drift).

Good luck again!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012