Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homesteader57

Help! Need pruning advice for overgrown lace caps.

homesteader57
10 years ago

We rented our homestead for 2 years. I just assumed the hydrangeas would be dead when I got back, but not so. They are now about 6 ft tall, and three ft. wider than when I left. I need to prune them.

They have overtaken the walk, so I've got to prune them back. I don't want to lose my flowers for next spring.

I have lady in red. I bought other "lace cap" hydrangea labeled "Endless Summer." Also huge! These have done better than the lady in red, but they get a bit more sun! I am not entirely sure these are Endless Summer. Could have been mislabeled. They are definitely lace cap.

How do I prune them back? Need to do this tomorrow morning if possible. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

This is a pretty good site to help.

pruning hydrangeas

You can always prune them hard and lose blooms for a year or wait until they bloom next year and then prune hard. Decisions, decisions....

Yes, sounds like your Endless Summer was mislabeled since that is a mophead.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

Prune now no blooms next year. A development here in Williamsburg pruned a long row of beautiful LIR last fall and 1 bloom on the 20 plants this summer. Also pruning may make them grow even more. If you can wait till bloom time is over have at it or thin them now by removing one third of the stems-leaving two thirds for blooms next year.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Oh, how sad, hokierustywilliamsbu! But it happened to me twice. One time was due to weather. The other was due to a friend who pruned all my hydrangeas (later than I expoected her to do) so she could do some flower arrangements.

And do not feel bad, homesteader57. I bought a Nikko Blue at Lowe's that turned out to be a lacecap.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Endless Summer is not the name of a specific cultivar of hydrangea but rather of a series of reblooming hydrangeas. The one most folks refer to as "endless summer" is really Endless Summer - The Original, as it was the first in the series. Both Blushing Bride and Twist and Shout are Endless Summer hydrangeas - Twist and Shout IS a lacecap so that could be what you have.

If it is part of the Endless Summer series (would have come in blue pot) then you should be able to prune now and still get flowers. Pruning hard now will remove the early flowering - those blossoms that develop on older growth - but you should still be able to realize flowering later in the season from the new growth. However, this new growth flowering does not seem to be 100% reliable for all the Endless Summer hydrangeas.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Endless Summer collection

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

That is true GardenGal about the different types that Endless Summer has out there. I assumed (yes I know the expression about assume) that anyone who says E.S. is speaking of The Original. I think we all need to start calling it The Original from now on so there is no confusion.

Personally I think E.S. needed to come off with a better name than "The Original" but it is what it is.

• homesteader57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your wise advice! I think I won't prune until after they bloom again. I miss seeing them bloom. It's interesting to know that my hydrangeas might indeed be "twist and shout" endless summer. Thank you so much for your expertise! Take care

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

My TS also have exploded in growth and are budding again on long 2-3 foot shoots!!