Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me... is there any chance I can....

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 17:35

moved my Unique Hydrangeas (paniculata) (I am new at this so forgive me with the "name"...). I know I have read that you should wait until they are dormant (or at least until the first frost), but I wondered if there is a chance we can still move them with their leaves still on - our first frost is in three weeks. My husband is ready to get this done, but I told him we had to wait until there were no leaves. Am I right? Thanks so much

Carrie

Also, confused - I've never trimmed them and they have bloomed wonderfully - but I heard they bloom on "new wood", so does that mean in the spring I can go ahead and trim them down a bit? Thanks - always confused when it comes to hydrangeas. PS The flowers are now a pale pink...
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me... is there any chance I can....

sorry - my photobucket is messed up - there is no picture showing right now, I believe :0/

o

I don't think it would be a big problem if you moved it now instead of a month from now. Just make sure you get lots of the roots and water in well at planting time and at least for the next couple of weeks. Paniculatas do bloom on new growth and spring is the best time to prune. Prune heavy for larger but less blooms or sparingly for smaller but more blooms.
Jm

o

Thank you - that's great news!

Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here