Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your suggestions please

Posted by roseabbey 5 Ont Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 18:09

In your opinion which type of hydrangea would suit planting around our new 12ft octagon gazebo next spring. The gazebo is exposed to all directions. I would like something that I wont have to prune excessively, I do not want to height to be over the handrail which is about 3ft high. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your suggestions please

I would check the Cityline Series (Vienna, Berlin for example) or Pia (also known as Pink Elf; big blooms; will need winter protection).

o
Oops!

Sorry. I was going to list three answers and left out Masja. By the way, roseabbey, I assume your soil is well draining and that the soil Ph is not extreme. If it is, you will need to amend it once or twice annually. Being so far north, you will probably not need to pay as much attention as I do to the amount of sun that the plants get in mid-summer (to protect the leaves from frying). I hope others chime in with additional suggestions. Let us know what you choose. If you post a picture of the gazebo and close-by plants or structures, there are some people here that can also suggest other plants as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Hydrangeas

o
RE: Your suggestions please

I think one of the forever and ever series would be the height you want and zone hardie for your area. My forever and ever Early Sensation has been a blooming machine for me. Its only supposed to get to 30 to 36 inchs tall and wide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here