Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to cover in Z4

Posted by jan44 z4b WI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 18:36

I have three Nikkos I want to cover. I have successfully overwintered them several times. This year is different. The leaves are drooping, but not dropping. The canes are wet and leaves are,too. We've had a lot of rain, but a few nights down to upper 20s. Am I better off to wait until things dry out to cage them with leaves, or should I go ahead and do it now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to cover in Z4

Letting them dry out prevents moisture from starting fungal problems in the future. But if a sudden drop in temperatures is in the cards for your region, I would prune the leaves now and see if they dry faster that way. You can always set up the cage early (early October say) and keep the leaves in plastic bags until you need them. We have had ooodles of rain here too. Only the dogs do not care when walking outside! Hee hee hee!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here