Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant Hydrangea tree...in two years....

Posted by mickeddie 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 19:16

I planted a Pee Gee Hydrangea tree two years ago in my back yard. It is now about 5 ft. tall. It doesn't get much sun and I want to move it to my front yard where it will get LOTS of sun. The challenge is, there is a cement walkway currently where I want my tree to go. I plan on having that walkway removed in the spring of '07 and replaced with pavers in a different location. Once the walkway is removed, I can transplant my hydrangea tree in that spot.

How big will the tree be in two years? Will I still be able to successfully transplant it at that time? Is Southern Exposure too much sun for this tree (I'm in Southeastern PA, Zone 6).

Thank you so much for your help.

Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant Hydrangea tree...in two years....

You can cut it back to any size you want. But your problem is the size of the rootball. I would go in now and root prune the shrub. Pretend that you're going to transplant it and dig all around, trying to get at the roots under the plant, too. If it's only been in the ground for a couple of years, it might not have spread so much. The plant will grow new roots, but these would be more compact. Do the same thing next year, too, and then move it. You could dig it up now and keep it in a pot for a couple of years.

It's said many times that it's a lot easier to just start over with a new plant than to try moving an established one.

Good luck. Hay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here