Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earth_worm

Help! Little buds - next year's growth? Will they winter over?

Earth.Worm
10 years ago

Hello,
I got a potted pink hydrangea as a gift in the beginning of August. I never had one at home as a houseplant, so I was clueless when it seemed to be dying after about 1.5 months no matter what I did. Eventually by the beginning of October the poor thing lost not only the flowers, but all the leaves too! I cut off the dry parts and as a last attempt gave it some fertilizer...

Than the buds appeared (on the picture).
Then I found and read this forum.... and realized, that the plant was maybe not dying, but preparing for the winter and now I messed up its timing with the fertilizer...

Could anyone please tell me if that's what's happening with it? Did the green buds sprout because of the food I gave it or are they just the normal buds for next year?

What should I do now - I was originally thinking about replanting it, but the potting soil has fertilizer too, or should I stop watering and let it rest for the winter in the same poor soil it came in? In that case when should I re-pot?
About keeping it over the winter - what I read online was to put the plant in dark and cold and water about once a week till January or February, then bring back inside. Is that correct, should I wrap it in anything and is 50F cold enough? (our basement is not that cold & I have no garage).

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting