Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a few questions

Posted by granygreenthumb 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 19:53

IPLANTED MY FIRST PEEGEE HYDRANGEA THIS YEAR. IT NEVER BLOOMED. WHEN I PLANTED THE STICK IT WAS ABOUT 8" LONG. IT DIDN'T TAKE IT LONG TO TAKE OFF. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE A TREE, BUT ALL THE LIMBS ARE ABOUT 4' LONG BUT ALL ARE LAYING ON THE GROUND. IT LOOKS LIKE A SHRUB MORE THAN A TREE. MY QUESTIONS ARE :
1 SHOULD I CUT IT BACK?
2 HOW MUCH SHOULD I CUT IT BACK?
3 IS IT SURPOSED TO BLOOM THE FIRST YEAR OR YEARS LATER?
I REALLY APPRECIATE ANYONES HELP

GRANY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a few questions

First, disable your caps lock :-) Posting in all caps is the Internet equivalent of shouting and is generally considered poor form......besides, it's darn hard to read!

Second, an 8" stick is not a tree, despite how it might have been advertised when sold. Hydrangeas are NOT naturally trees by habit and tree form hydrangeas are trained that way over time, so that the "stick" or trunk portion is allowed to elongate and thicken with age, then lower branches removed to develop a tree-like form. This takes time, typically several years or more, which is why standard or tree form hydrangeas tend to carry higher price tags.

The form you describe is pretty typical for a PeeGee - they have very lax branching that often are more prostrate than upright. You can train this small plant into a tree form yourself, but again it will take several years (3-5, sometimes more) to accomplish. The trunk must be trained vertically, so will probably need to be staked, otherwise the weight of the branches will pull it over. Once the trunk has begun to thicken and gained some girth in a couple of seasons, you can slowly begin removing lower branches.

Finally, it is not unusual for newly planted shrubs not to bloom their first season in the ground, especially one that is as tiny as your 8" 'stick'. Provided it is sited and planted correctly and nothing damages it, it should bloom next season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here