Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Readied the cage today

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 20:38

I got my protection cage ready to go today. I didn't fill yet as it's a little early, but our temps are changing quickly here. Tomorrow night will already be in the lower 30's!
I used bamboo stakes interlaced around a green "chicken wire" cage today. I've got leaves shredded and ready to go though.
The hydrangea is a Forever and Ever Blue Heaven, which I know blooms on old and new wood. I protect anyways. I did last fall and had some (not many but some) beautiful blooms this summer. Last year the hydrangea was just planted so I'm hoping that this next year will bring even more.
I did see a lot more green "buds" all up and down the plant though (I did prune off the spent blooms in early July) so maybe those will be future blooms.
I already can't wait for spring! :)
I've been so busy this year with my first compost pile, testing soil, amending, that I'm anxious to see the results of all that work! lol
Here's to hoping we have a lot of snow this winter!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Readied the cage today

Ask and you shall receive, Ken. The NOAA forecast for your area during the 2010 winter is wetter than normal and either normal (ie, average) to slightly warmer than normal temperatures....

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Winter Outlook

o

Thanks a lot Luis! lolol!
I know, it's gonna be bad. I can feel it already.
I already am going to have to fill the cage tomorrow, only because Monday night is supposed to get down to mid 20's already! Ugh! I was going to wait until the middle of November or Thanksgiving at the latest, but I don't think mother nature is going to cooperate with me. lol

Cathy

o

I had to put it to bed already! This week will be getting down to the 20's and lower 30's at night. I'm too antsy to leave it to the elements. I want to keep all those buds from this season.

Here's a pic of my blue heaven put to bed today

Photobucket

o

Wow, it sure looks ready to me! Say, do you find it necessary to add more leaves due to settling in the middle of winter in NE Ohio, Cathy?

o

No, I didn't have to add more leaves. I do have extra's though just in case.

Cathy

o

Gonna get down to mid 20's tonight and a few more nights this week! I for one am glad I covered it already. :)

Cathy

o

OH Lord. And to think that I had to show my Mom how to turn on the heater in her apt yesterday.... because the temperature was going to dip into... the upper 40s! Hee hee hee! Must sound like a heat wave for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here