Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting back after hard frost?

Posted by kimbra8 Lanc Co Pa z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 21:12

Hi all.. I am new here and am not someone that has a lot of knowledge when it comes to gardening and would like to learn all I can. I have found this forum helpful in the pond posts so thought I would skip over here and ask if anyone cuts back Endless Summers after the first hard frost? If so how close to the ground.. oh and I have a really dumb question that needs answered and that is... how can you tell the difference between a hard frost and a regular frost? Thanks for your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting back after hard frost?

Woody based shrubs like hydrangeas do not react to hard frosts or freezes like herbaceous (dieback) perennials do. Cutting back in late fall or after a freeze can often cause greater damage to the plant than leaving it alone to deal with winter. Wait until spring and signs of new growth to do any pruning or cutting back and then only to remove what is obviously dead.

The National Weather Service defines frosts and freezes as follows: a frost occurs when air temperatures drop to 33-36F, a freeze or hard frost when temperatures are 29-32F and a hard freeze when air temperatures are 28F or colder 6' above the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here