Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Twist and Shout Fall Color

whaas_5a
14 years ago

Not what I was expecting! We had a very early freeze this year (26 degrees this past Saturday) and these Twist and Shouts planted this spring have cashed out. Its odd, because so many other plants still have their blooms! My Tardiva was just planted 2 weeks ago and its still blooming!

Your thoughts...are Macros really that sensative to the point where the leaves will die with an early freeze?

Or should I give this plant another chance so it can become better established?

As they continue to grow, I don't want 4' tall hydrangeas in front of my bay window looking like the picture below.

Last month I saw Twist and Shouts at a couple nurseries and they all had showy fall color. Also M. Dirr says these things are hardy to zone 4.

{{gwi:1023821}}

Comments (12)

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

I would give it another chance. It is fresh fron the nursery this year and I would imagine it is more sensative than it will be in the future. Plus it has to get use to it's new surroundings. I have two of them and they are just turned into the maroon fall color, but are lowest night has been 36.

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

Mine look the same in Minneapolis. I don't know how the weather has been down where you are, but here fall color on many things has been really poor so far. September was too warm, followed by a pretty rapid drop in temperature and then a hard freeze. I would call this year very abnormal and am giving it another chance.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

In general, macros are more sensitive of low temperatures so a new young shrub would be more so. Arborescens and paniculatas are less sensitive. But I would not worry of the leaves since they will come back next year. Of course, if any old wood buds were killed then the early flowers from the old wood blooms will not bloom. But you will still get blooms from the new wood blooms later on so, all is not lost.

I am always more concerned about warm spells being followed by sudden sub-freezing temps since that could kill flower buds in any zone. And down here we tend to have hydrangeas that only bloom on old wood.

I think I may start observing at what temp range the leaves react like that.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll probably give it another chance for next year. I wasn't worried about the leaves dieing, just the fact that they look nasty in front of my bay window (front yard). Can't image something like that when the plant becomes larger.

My other complaints were that we had a sudden warm up in June (mid 90s) and the leaves fried...literally in one day the leaves turned brown and turned crispy. This is with a protected eastern exposure mind you. Other leaves went limp and began to turn maroon. They recovered with watering and stabilizing temps.

Flower color wasn't very impactfull either.

One more year! Otherwise I will look into a dwarf paniculata, like Darhuma.

Fothergilla, azaela and spice island viburnum are also in the running.

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

It should only receive morning sun. If it is receiving evening sun maybe that is why it burned out.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Sounds like you are talking about May in Texas. Ha!

You may have had a watering issue caused by it being a new plant too. When your plants get to much sun instead, the leaves will turn completely yellowish or white-ish. Similar to when you have iron chlorosis but the whole leaf is yellow, including the leaf veins. My hydrangeas will do that if I let them get sun past 11am or 12pm in the summer months.

But if they get too little water, the leaves may wilt a little and then the edges of the leaves will brown out. After that, the whole leaf browns out if soil moisture does not improve.

Windy conditions will cause wilting as the leaves loose moisture faster than normal & faster than the roots can replace it. If the plant is already stressed by lack of moisture then this rapid brown out can occur. Watch the rootball (make sure it is moist) when this quick dry out occurs because some hydrangeas who do this will not recover.

Luis

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last time I checked the sun sets in the west, lol.

They only get morning sun (as noted above, protected eastern exposure)...one of them gets a little bit of that southeastern sun.

No moisture problems, it boils down to its sensatively to extreme temp. changes.

Sounds like its "more" sensative being a newer transplant...just wanted to make sure its sensativity will improve with age.

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

Sorry did not see you noted it before.

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Mine is still looking good even though my squash plants near it are totally black. Mine is a second year plant though. I cann,t remember when it went dorment last year.

• kjhosta
    14 years ago

SO FAR SO GOOD FOR FALL COLOR. PLANTED A COUPLE OF MONTHS
    AGO IT GOT DOWN TO 36 LAST NIGHT. IT IS A TRUELY BEAUTIFUL PLANT AND GETS MORNING LIGHT (filtered) GIVE IT A CHANCE,

• gizmo1947_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I just bought 3 twist n shout hydrangea's, love em but I am thinking of best location for them. Morning sun. Shade in aft? I quiet far up north so wondered if they could take a bit more sun? I also purchased some vanilla strawberry's, and some limelight's. Maybe more shade for the limelight and more sun for the van strawberries? Any input would be appreciated

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

Give em all as much sun as you can.

VS and Limelight need lots of sun, not so much T&S. But all should thrive in full sun in your zone. I can't recall my T&S drooping at all except for 1 or 2 90-degree days with less than 50% humidity.

T&S are perfect for late season bargain hunters because places like Wal-Mart overbuy all the ES plants all through the season (starting around Mother's Day) and will often mark down healthy root balled plants to $4-5 which can easily grow to 3' in one season.