Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
everblooming hydrangea

Posted by jp47 none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 22:28

I have an Ever Bloomimg Hydrangea that I put in a large pot in the garden. What do I do with it during the Chicago winter so that it survives?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: everblooming hydrangea

Rebloomers like the Endless Summer, Forever & Ever Series are advertised as being hardy to Zone 5, which means they would survive a winter in that zone with nothing more than 3-4" of mulch. The catch is that those hydrangeas develop their first set of flower buds in the July-August time frame and these will not produce blooms consistently because the buds, the stems or both freeze/die out during the winter. That does not harm the plant per se, as new growth will then develop from the crown/base and you will get more flower buds... just later in the year. What you can do if you want blooms earlier is to:

* stop fertilizing by July

* if you have to prune live stems for some reason, prune them no later than by the end of June

* maintain 3-4" of mulch thru the drip line

* apply winter protection if you want to produce blooms from those July flower buds.

An example of winter protection is to put chicken wire/burlap around 4-5 stakes that surround the hydrangea. The chicken wire should be taller and wider than the hydrangea stems. That helps protect the flower buds which develop usually near the end of the stems. When the plant begins to go dormant in the Fall, fill the area with dried out leaves, straw, etc. Pack the leaves really good, leave little empty space and save whatever is left in a plastic garbage bag so you can apply more in mid winter as the leaves settle. Make sure the side and top have around 3-6 inches between the ends of the stems to the chicken wire (the more distance, the more protection the leaves give). The top can be topped with cardboard; use rocks or bricks hold in place. Remove the winter protection about 2 weeks after your average date of last freeze.

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here