Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamary_gw

Squirrels and hydrangeas

carolinamary
12 years ago

Hello Folks,

We are complete newbies to hydrangeas--haven't quite bought any yet. I've just started reading this forum to learn a little about hydrangeas and to help choose varieties.

My initial idea is to try some hydrangeas inside a fenced area where our deer and rabbits can't go. But squirrels and raccoons certainly can and do run all over the yard inside the fence. I noticed a mention of squirrels nibbling on someone's hydrangeas. Our yard is filled with squirrels. So I'm wondering now whether to continue with the hydrangea idea.

We've successfully grown camellias, azaleas, rhododendrons, hellebores, hostas, and a few shade-tolerant roses inside this fenced area. Would that have any predictive value for hydrangeas? Does a squirrel need to be desperate before they start in on hydrangeas, perhaps? Our squirrels are in heaven eating all our acorns and hickory nuts and they're far from starving.

Thanks for any info!

Mary

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Hello, Mary. Maybe you can start taking small steps; introduce one or two hydrangeas to see what happens. I too have squirrels in the neighborhood and they do not seem terribly interested in my hydrangeas, azaleas and camellias (at least, not so far). However, I do not have acorn producing trees where the hydrangeas are.

• carolinamary
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply, Louis.

I'm just remembering now a small apartment with hydrangeas across its front. There were plenty of squirrels there that never ever bothered the hydrangeas.

Squirrels definitely never bother azaleas and camellias... so, I think we'll go for it with hydrangeas. Not many, though, as we often suffer from droughts here. Not this past year, but probably 9 out of 10 years we do have droughts, often severely. Keeping our rhododendrons and azaleas watered hasn't been easy. So we need to go slowly on adding more plants that aren't drought tolerant. But I've always loved the looks of blooming hydrangeas, and always wished for some to cut. We're going to go for it!

Best wishes,
    Mary

• ejr2005
    12 years ago

I have lots of squirrels and lots of fairly new hydrangeas. In general I haven't found that the squirrels bother the hydrangeas.

About two weeks ago however I had an "incident." I brought home a number of plants and had their pots spread out around my new bed to see where I wanted to plant them. I used a very small Masja Hydrangea that I had in a pot as a surrogate for another hydrangea that I would have to transplant.

From across the yard I noticed that a squirrel was exploring each pot - they always seem to investigate something new. I thought it was cute seeing it jump up on each pot to check out the plant. I wasn't worried because I hadn't had problems with them before. Later I went closer to the pots and the squirrel was on the Masja pot. I noticed it doing something so I looked closer. Turns out the squirrel had torn off 6 or so leaves that I found on the soil. It also looked like it had torn off a whole shoot. Don't know why it had done this - it didn't seem to be eating the leaves, just causing destruction.

I was going to post this separately to see if anyone else had had this happen, or knew of any explanation for it. When I saw your post I thought I'd alert you. You don't have to worry in general, but may want to be a little protective of very small hydrangeas in pots. It's funny - I've had my two small potted Masjas on the other side of the house most of the summer and the squirrels and other creatures have seemingly left them alone.

• paulsiu
    12 years ago

Squirrels are uninterested in hydrangea, but given a pot, they will dig and dig or bury. Cover the top with some chicken wire or sharp rocks will discourage such behavior.

Paul