Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice gardeners desperate for advice!

Posted by cheri127 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 8:48

Hi. I've never posted here before (I'm usually in kitchens) but hope that I can get some advice on cutting back Annabelle hydrangeas. Our front garden was professionally landscaped two years ago and consists mostly of hydrangeas (Annabelle and oakleaf) and hostas. The annabelles were planted in the fall and bloomed beautifully the first season. We didn't cut them back or prune them and the following spring their leaves and blooms came back on the existing stems. They were large, with about 200 gorgeous blooms, but basically took over the whole garden! Now, the blooms and stems are brown and we were wondering if we should cut them back to the ground to keep them from sprawling even more next spring. DH and I know nothing about gardening so any advice you could give would really be appreciated. We are in zone 7 and the garden faces north. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice gardeners desperate for advice!

I don,t grow Annabelles but if you do a seach here you will come up with a lot of info. on them . I alot of people do cut them back pretty hard every year. You can also tie them up to keep them from sprawling out so much.

o
RE: Novice gardeners desperate for advice!

Yes, you can cut them back hard but the recommendation is typically to do so in late winter or early spring. In zone 7, I doubt you will encounter any problems if you need to do it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here